Jeff Hahn

Need a line tie when jig fishing

There is a very healthy largemouth population where I fish in Georgian Bay, Ontario. The problem is that there are a lot of pike, too. I get tired of losing jigs to toothy little pike. So, last year I started using a plastic coated wire leader on my jigs. It didn't affect my catch rate or the size of largemouth that I caught at all. I make my own leaders. Instead of using a snap on the end that attaches to the jig, I attach the leader permanently using a leader sleeve. The problem is on the other end of the leader where I tie my line. Last year, I used a split ring. The problem is that the split ring catches a lot of weeds, ruining the presentation. So, I tried a barrel swivel. It was better, but not by much. So, I'm looking for an alternative. Here's the best option I've found.

https://www.jannsnetcraft.com/spro-p...ls/335801.aspx

I know these will still catch some grass. But, I bet a whole lot less than the split ring or barrel swivel. Anyone have any experience with these heavy duty swivels? I wonder if the smallest one, 150 pound test, will be too big?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

That is a windon swivel. We use them for offshore trolling going from braid or spectra to a fluro carbon leader. My fluro used to be 75'.

I have a picture I will attach that has three Sro swivels. One is your windon swivel. The next is a Spro Power swivel #8, it is a 50lb. one and pretty small ( we use those for Kingfishing and they excellent eyesight). Next one is a Spro split snap. This one is pretty big but you can them smaller ( we use these for jigs and mirro lures working the marsh grass  for Reds & Trout ) . These make it quicker to change out a lure without tying another knot.

Mustad makes one these snap swivels that I think is better than the Spro, but I can't find them down here.

https://www.google.com/search?q=mustad+fastach+clip+sizes&rlz=1C1EODB_enUS532US653&oq=mustad+fas&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j0l5.17194j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Another option could be just tie direct to nylon coated leader with a Thumb knot, not sure about line twist with that though.

The second picture shows a planer bridle with the windon swivel.

Hope this helps.

Spro swivels 001.JPG

reels 011.JPG

On 8/11/2018 at 4:52 PM, clemmy said:

Jeff, have you considered a tie able leader like 20# Cortland Toothy Critter?  You would lose the swivel but you are using it for a jig, not a spinner. You could cover the knot with a little heat shrink if the knot itself is catching.

Craig

On 8/11/2018 at 4:52 PM, clemmy said:

Jeff, have you considered a tie able leader like 20# Cortland Toothy Critter?  You would lose the swivel but you are using it for a jig, not a spinner. You could cover the knot with a little heat shrink if the knot itself is catching.

Craig

I thought about the tie-able wire.  But, I've never used it so I don't know if it would fit my needs or not or how well it works. 

The Spro swivels that I ordered arrived yesterday.  It looks like they are going to work great.

• Like 1