Vigilant Vet

Ready to Buy Equipment and Supplies

Hello All, newbie here. I'm getting ready to start ordering equipment to pour my own soft plastics. I'm planning to get a few different injection molds at first, probably a couple different size Senko-style molds and maybe a drop shot bait. Of course I have a couple questions...

I realize I will get a few different answers here, but who in your opinion makes the best injectors? Why are they the best? I'd like to order a single injector as well as a double to make laminates. I saw one that I liked on a YouTube video that had a handle, but cant recall the name of the company who makes it off hand. I can research and post in a response below. 

Are mold and injectors from different companies compatible with each other? 

Who makes a plastic with the lowest odor/fumes that still produces a good, medium soft bait?

THat's all I can think of for now. Most of my questions have been answered by searching this site or watching YouTube videos. 

Thanks!

VV

i just started pouring myself, about 2 months ago. started with doit essentials plastic, it stinks and bubbles, switched to baitjunkys from baitplastics and it has been great, no bubbles and smells a TON less, baits are fairly soft without softener, but i would buy a bit of softener, too.

i bought my injector from lurecraft, the nozzle threads on, and its a nice injector, but if you are buying a dual injector to start, i would just buy the bass tackle, and use one of the injectors as a single if you arent making laminates.

so far i have molds from doit, basstackle and BTS, and they are all compatible with my injector (and i assume the basstackle as well).

i will say, be prepared to spend more than you think, i started with 2 molds (doit 3" cnc ripper and 3.5 ES ripper) and now have 6 (2 more from basstackle and 2 from BTS) and will likely be getting more in the near future, as well as a dual injector...its addicting!

16 hours ago, Vigilant Vet said:

Are mold and injectors from different companies compatible with each other?  

Thanks!

VV

Short answer is no they are not all compatible you do need to know as stated old Jacobs molds have a smaller port you will need to know the dimension, most are 5/8" but there have been a lot of overseas offerings that may make it to the us market via directly or ebay and the like so a little investigating is in order but from most suppliers in the states there should be no issue

Be prepared to have a couple thousand dollars or more worth of molds before long.  Baitjunkys was mentioned for plastic & should be mentioned that he makes top notch molds too. Enforcer as well makes really nice molds. I own several of them & they are good stuff. Basstackle molds are as good as it gets. I like lureworks colorants better than any of the others i have tried personally.

Be sure to read the do and don't topics like vent systems . wearing  a respirator , gloves, long sleeves ect. Bass  Tackle Molds and injectors are good like someone said buy a twin set first and use one for singles. also don't do like me get the larger one  i know u will say i will never shoot that much at one time but when using one color and u buy enough molds u will shoot that much. Someone said something about the injector with the screw on tip i have a couple of these they are well made  but the screw on tip is  time consuming with a hot injector. The dual set on ebay for around 100 bucks are not bad but i am not a fan of the pop off tip. As for as molds CNC aluminum molds are the only way to go ,the finish of your baits are the best.  I tried plastic, silcone, and sand cast none compare and are shelf items. Buy one mold and try before buying two or three. Like the worm  bait may be too big around  too short too long ect.   Baitjunky's plastisol is good read the forums on other plastisol to get the pros and cons . To me bubbles are not as bad as plastisol that yellows .  I shoot more light colors than dark so yellowing is a problem. If u need anything just PM me. Cub48