Wambambait

Crankbait lip material

Hey guys this is my first post to the site I’ve been member for few years and gained a lot of good info from it! I have just started making( trying to make!) ha! My own crankbaits and I’m looking for a good casting material to use for pouring the lips. I have tried making my own with lexan but alas I can’t cut or draw a straight line! Don’t want to buy pre made ones cause I have a specific style mold I want to use anybody have a good casting resin they could suggest?  Thanks! 

I see there haven’t been any responses to your post and think that’s because there probably isn’t any real substitute for Lexan, circuit board, or steel lips as far as durability goes.  I don’t mold baits but have cut lots of lips over the years, and I agree it’s a challenge.  What helped me the most in getting them right was starting with a good symmetrical template and what helped me do that was using a simple freeware CAD program to design the lips on my computer and print them out on an ink jet printer, which automatically sizes the printout to your desired shape and size.  Then you can transfer the print to a sheet of plastic and cut it out with scissors.  There are multiple ways to proceed from that point, which have been discussed in earlier TU threads.  I build various baits in small batches so just cut the lips out with aircraft shears and then refine the shape down to the exact lines with a Dremel sander followed by a Dremel felt polishing disk to clarify the edges.  It’s an exacting manual process but as long as you have a good symmetrical template you don’t really have to worry that your lips will be accurate.  And with a little practice you can cut a small batch of 6-8 lips in about 30-45 minutes.  A faster method is to stack rough lip blanks and use a straight laminate trimmer bit on a router table and a wood template to produce a bunch of copies at once, if you have the equipment (I don’t).  But it all starts with a good symmetrical template.

Edited by BobP
  • Like 2

Lexan/polycarbonate can be cut with carbide toothed router/ table saw very easily. IMO

if you know how to use either it would be to your benefit to do so and if you want that perfect edge hit it with a torch gently.

any local glass shop or home improvement place carries it.

to mold it place your mold in oven heat  to around 220 to 280 degrees till it forms to your mold. any hotter it might scorch or burn.

you can use a small toaster oven outside, fumes/gasses are not good to inhale.

• Like 1