joelhains

Rattle can paint jobs

I've come to the conclusion that the air brush isn't for me! It just wasn't working out.  So how about rattle can spray paint jobs on crankbaits? What brand paint works best or does it really even matter? I'm of the belief that the fish dont care about fancy paint jobs and a couple contrasting colors should do the trick.  Not sure if this is allowed or not. Not for advertising purposes but purely education post up some pics of your rattle can paint jobs!

If you are not opposed to using a toothbrush, the spatter-back is a simple and effective pattern. Mine was done with an airbrush, but toothbrush works fine. .008 glitter(silver holographic nail art powder) is mixed with epoxy. 

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/gallery/image/18305-spatterback-white-diamonds1jpg/

• Like 1

This is a video from Toxic Baits. There is a small section of his paint set-up and he's a rattle can guy.  While he is doing larger baits, maybe there's some techniques or tips that can work for you.  His swimbaits are the hottest ticket in town right now. Guys will give almost anything for  a Toxic Baits Wade Hoggs  and he can't make them fast enough. I can see he uses mesh in a hoop to create his scale pattern and he does a lot of splatter on the backs.

I would encourage you to  try to figure out your airbrush, it's so much more versatile. I had trouble with my first brushes and it was frustrating. Then I bought a decent brush,  dedicated myself to keeping it impeccably clean and not using cheap paints or reducers. The most trouble I  figured out,  was because of dirty airbrushes,  I thought I was cleaning it well, but I wasn't getting it clean enough. It amazing how much trouble a tiny spec of dried paint can cause. I bought a bottle of Auto-air restorer and use a tall, skinny tarter sauce jar to store it in. When the brush starts acting up, a night soaking and a quick cleaning and she's good to go for a while again.

Good luck whichever route you take:yay:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1