BigFish1973

Crankbait mold issue

Common occurrence with two part polyurethanes from my experiences.  Never caused any issues unless I removed the blank very early.   I found if I used 3 to 5 molds in tandem that resulted in me being able to cast continuously.

I don't have enough experience with other materials but based on the reactions that are occurring likely expansion based on the reaction or thermally.

16 minutes ago, Travis said:

Common occurrence with two part polyurethanes from my experiences.  Never caused any issues unless I removed the blank very early.   I found if I used 3 to 5 molds in tandem that resulted in me being able to cast continuously.

I don't have enough experience with other materials but based on the reactions that are occurring likely expansion based on the reaction or thermally.

I can leave them in mold overnight and they still come out bigger

A little expansion is to be expected but should still set back in mold.  If I can find a few unfinished blanks will see how much they have expanded compared to the master this weekend.

Softer durometer RTV will also give more.  I have used small vents in some molds and found that two spru worked better on many designs.   A wooden backer on either side of the RTV will help also as frequently that is the thinnest walls in the mold.

IM000376.jpg

flats.jpg

6 minutes ago, Travis said:

A little expansion is to be expected but should still set back in mold.  If I can find a few unfinished blanks will see how much they have expanded compared to the master this weekend.

Softer durometer RTV will also give more.  I have used small vents in some molds and found that two spru worked better on many designs.   A wooden backer on either side of the RTV will help also as frequently that is the thinnest walls in the mold.

IM000376.jpg

flats.jpg

My RTV is poured into wooden frames over my pattern, Then I put backs on them after I take them off pattern after they cure.