eastman03

Epoxy Crystallizing

So I was having some problems with my Envirotex epoxy just recently and I figured I would post what I just found about it.  It is probably common knowledge but it saved me from throwing out a good batch of etex.    The epoxy I was using on the lures was curing just fine but I had little tiny imperfections (not bubbles) and it didn't appear to be dust.  Just some small lumps and voids (probably only noticeable to me when I was scrutinizing it after).    I had my etex inside so it was at a good room temp and humidity, but at one point or another it must have been exposed to a bit cooler weather.  

Well, what I found was some of the resin bottle was crystallizing.  This appears to be very common when it's exposed to cold weather.  The hardener bottle was still fine.  So I though it might be garbage but by heating it up properly, you can liquefy the little crystals and it becomes perfectly usable again! phew.    Now I know this is probably common knowledge to most of you, but I was relieved to solve at least that problem with my finish!

Here is a good page I found that talks about resin and how to fix it.

https://theepoxyexperts.com/coldweathernotice/

• Thanks 2

On 8/27/2018 at 3:45 AM, ravenlures said:

Now Mark just what kind of cold weather do you get in Oakley, CA  Try Wisconsin weather  from -20 to 90 degrees.

Wayne

Wayne, I got cold just reading that!

It only gets down to freezing here a few days a year,  but it gets cold enough, in an unheated garage, to turn epoxy into a semi-solid.

The weather has already started cooling here.  It's down to mid 50s at night, and high 70s during the day.  The water temps never got above 75, but they're down to 70 now first thing in the morning.  It's enough of a change to make a difference to the bass in the Delta, which have Florida genes, so they don't like cold.  Both the stripers and the salmon have started their fall  runs, so it's time to break out the spooks and swimbaits.