DoubleT

Solvent Based Paint

8 posts in this topic

I have been using lureworks solvent based paints in the 4 oz. cans. So far I am very pleased with the results other than some cob webbing. A little retarder seems to straighten that out. I have been getting the paint out of the cans with a 1/2 tsp measuring spoon. It works but can get messy. Do any of you folks have a better method. I'm sure there is a easier/cleaner way to get the paint out of those cans and into the paint cup. Thanks for any input. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mix up my paint into a 4 oz. or 8 oz. plastic bottle to include thinner, retarder or what have you. Then I squeeze what I need into the color cup from the bottle and only have to mess with the can once in a while.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have just used this paint for the first time recently and also used a syringe to put it in the airbrush. I also found that the paint rubs off the plastic which i didnt think was meant to happen. Is there a secret to using this stuff or do i have to let it cure for longer?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree - the bottles spill a lot when pouring into the airbrush cup  it’s so annoying  

 

I responded to this issue to Munro  on another thread but did. It mentiontbis:

You may be dusting the paint on - meaning u r too far away with the airbrush and the paint is drying in the air. I fhave nd about 20psi is best with my setup. It need to go on wet but not too wet or u will get fisheyes. If it is wet the solvents should work it into the plastic. You. An clear coat it for extra durability(see other thread. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/25/2018 at 4:37 AM, Munro76 said:

I also found that the paint rubs off the plastic which i didnt think was meant to happen. Is there a secret to using this stuff or do i have to let it cure for longer?

If you wash the baits in warm soapy (dish washing liquid) water and dry them off good prior to painting you will likely get better adhesion. It depends on the plastic that you are using as well.

On 8/24/2018 at 8:39 PM, Basseducer said:

I mix up my paint into a 4 oz. or 8 oz. plastic bottle to include thinner, retarder or what have you. Then I squeeze what I need into the color cup from the bottle and only have to mess with the can once in a while.

I have some 4 oz bottles with the flip top from lureworks. I thought about using them but was concerned with the solvents in the paint doing something to the bottle or the solvents evaporating from the paint while in the bottle. Are you using these or something similar? If so, have you had any of these problems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Take one of your used 4 oz cans and put a pouring hole in the top of it,each time you need to pour a color just screw that lid on,I painted with the stuff for a long time,worked forme,easy,inexpensive

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Bogbaits said:

Take one of your used 4 oz cans and put a pouring hole in the top of it,each time you need to pour a color just screw that lid on,I painted with the stuff for a long time,worked forme,easy,inexpensive

Ahhhh........Great idea. Thank you 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now