TroutSupport.com

Plastic Lure Scents

Anyone have any thoughts on how effective these scent oils are that are sold by MF and Lureworks or anyone else?  

The foto has all their oil scents. Has anyone ever seen fish not eat a certain bait because one of these scents.  I know a major worm manufacture and he uses a mix of grape and anise.. funny everyone thinks it's something special.. i'm not sure where he gets his from but I know the mix of smells. 

I caught fish just fine last weekend with no scent at all and my lures smell quite plastic like. I'm sure ya'll know that smell.  I'd only like to add some to the pack to reduce the plastic smell as my plastic appears to be a 'dry' plastic and soaking it up. 

Screen Shot 2018-08-28 at 6.37.01 PM.png

Once, I tested bluegills by putting scent on a small piece of paper towel. Tried Kicknbass, Berkley power bait, and I don’t remember how many others anymore. The fish swallowed the berkley one and spit out all the others. But, Berkley is waterbased so it does not really help us out much.   According to the Berkley Chemist's book on bass, fish can’t taste oil based scents, they need to be water soluble.  I think the oil based scents might help keep bad scents off lures more than anything else. 

• Like 1

Thanks DV... that's good information and makes sense.  an oil would not mix with the water they are in and would not disperse.   

I may still add a little oil to the baits since mine are leaving a plastisol residue in the package and the oil residue would look better with regards to packaging. 

Edited by TroutSupport.com

I just started this soft plastic bait thing (like, only remelts until this week) but I decided to use the natural based oils since I need to add something to the plastics anyway.  I do not expect anything other than maybe repelling offensive stuff like sunscreen,  bug spray, etc that may be on my hands.  More of a "I need to add a little oil anyway, so it might as well have something in it that a fish MIGHT somehow recognize" type thing.

13 hours ago, TroutSupport.com said:

Thanks DV... that's good information and makes sense.  an oil would not mix with the water they are in and would not disperse.   

I may still add a little oil to the baits since mine are leaving a plastisol residue in the package and the oil residue would look better with regards to packaging. 

I use Bang, Yum, and Yamamoto oil based scents, because I think the fish do taste it when they bite, and I think it helps them hold on longer.