dpfishing

Strip paint

I’ve used many paint removal techniques.  Sanding.  Peeling it (epoxy topcoated) with a thin sharp knife.  Torching it off (very quick if the bait finish is nonflammable but disastrous if it is).  Soaking in remover.  What works best depends on the kind of bait you’re stripping, its surface shapes, and the type of finish it has.  Professional refinishing shops use soda blasting. It’s the best.  Many of us don’t strip at all, just scuff the topcoat up and refinish.  That works fine on many baits, wth the exception of suspending models.

• Like 2

I  started stripping baits because I've had store bought baits where the finish did not hold up. I really like the style of the baits (Cotton Cordell Boy Howdies), so I decided to remove the old finish and repaint them.   At first I tired just sanding but it was very laborious. Then I tried acetone, but it harmed the surface of the plastic baits.  Now I use denatured alcohol.  I soak a half paper towel in the alcohol and then wrap the paper towel around the bait.  Then I wrap that in aluminum foil, tightly, to keep the alcohol from evaporating.  I let it set for a couple of days.  On some baits the finish and paint just peels off and some still require a little sanding or scraping, but nothing compared to sanding them all the way.  Also, I have not noticed any damage to the bait bodes.  I top coat with epoxy and one bait I refinished caught 45 bass before a fish broke it off.  The manufacturers finish would have been pretty much destroyed after ten fish.