robbor

Cutting v/ splitting wood bodies?

If I understand the question correctly, I use a band saw.  If your talking about the hinge joint on say an MS Slammer?  I make a wooden swimbait rat.  After turning the body on the lathe, I leave the square of wood on each end of the body. First it goes to the table saw to have the lipslot cut and then to the band saw to make the 90* joint cut.  No jig required. Then cut off the two ends and you have your two body halves with the cuts made.  I make the cuts when it's in the square form on the left. If I misunderstood, my apologies.

101_1235.JPG

• Like 2

Thanks for the reply AZF, that’s exactly what I’m doing. First run will be balsa rats lol.  I did recently see a vid as you did and leave the square wood on.  Thanks for the reply! I’m sure I’ll have more questions later as I go from step to step. Now I need a table saw, lol.  I still have to figure out the bills,  resin, and forms. I’m wanting to do one piece forms slitted into the body just in case the balsa body fails on a big fish.