Lucid_Vax

Do I need softener when making soft plastics?

I’ve been doing research on making my own soft plastics and can’t seem to find if I need softener or not. I haven’t ordered anything yet so is there anything else I need besides plastisol, bait color, and maybe scents or glitter? If you would like to help me and just tell me if I need it or not and the ratios it would be greatly appreciated.:D

Edited by Lucid_Vax

I never use softner on my bass baits.  I sometimes use it for panfish baits. Remember if you use softner, the baits will be easier to tear and probably wear out quicker. Not something I want on a creature bait...not such a big deal on a tiny panfish bait that I can make a bunch of really quick.

I'm pretty sure the responses you get will be 50/50 !

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lucid_Vax said:

Do I need to add salt?

Salt is optional, but it does give baits a natural flavor when the fish bites.  I think they hold a salted bait longer, because it tastes like a live prey item.

But salt will make baits stiffer, so that's why some people add softener.  

I do add softener for senkos, because  I add lots of salt to them, which makes them stiffer, and they need to be soft enough to shimmy on the fall.

I also add salt to other baits, like creature baits and craws, but not enough to warrant additional softener.

22 hours ago, mark poulson said:

Salt is optional, but it does give baits a natural flavor when the fish bites.  I think they hold a salted bait longer, because it tastes like a live prey item.

But salt will make baits stiffer, so that's why some people add softener.  

I do add softener for senkos, because  I add lots of salt to them, which makes them stiffer, and they need to be soft enough to shimmy on the fall.

I also add salt to other baits, like creature baits and craws, but not enough to warrant additional softener.

Thanks for responding.