DoubleT

Bubbles

I recently got some Lureworks Pourasol. I had never used it before and wanted to give it a try. I heated it in the microwave and to my surprise a ton of bubbles formed. It was frothy on top. I thought maybe that it may have been where I added Do-It colorant to Lureworks plastic. I heated another 4 ounces without any colorant at all and it bubbled up as well. Have any of you guys experienced this recently. I plan to give Bruce a call on Monday but thought that I would check here first. I heated up another brand of plastic that I have and it heated up with very little bubbles. Thanks for the info. 

Pourasol is not for making baits it is a very sift and thin product used to DIP your poured baits in. (Like when adding eyes to a swim bait etc.) I found that 1: it will settle to bubble free in a relatively short period of time, but multiple small bursts are better than longer intervals in the microwave. I start with a min or so continuous, then 30 second increments mixing well between each until it's clear, hot and at the right consistency.

this from the web site.

Pourasol™ 4561 Medium

Pourasol is a high-quality, low bubble/low odor formula perfect for the beginner or veteran that doesn't want to deal with micro-bubbles. Pourasol is our best selling and most popular plastisol.  Formulaically identical to Injectasol, Pourasol has undergone the additional step of being de-aired. Deaeration mitigates the formation of micro-bubbles that can form during the heating process. Pourasol can be used for hand pouring in open molds or hand injecting in aluminum molds.

Are you checking your temperature over heating can cause more bubbles . I have not used Lureworks Plastic but  i have had some that was very bad with bubbles. As of now i am using Bait junkys Plastisol it does very well with low bubbles i have even tried the medium that is not degassed and it is good also. I think he sold out to someone else but it still on the market. One thing  u can fix u a vacuum system anything from a full blown system to putting 4 oz in a sealed container and using a hand vacuum pump, get a rubber plug drill a hole thru the center find a cylinder it fits and use the hand vacuum pump let set with vacuum on for a few min it will be degassed!! If it stills has bubbles it is the plastisol. Cub48

• Like 1

I use Baitjumkys & Lureworks &  they are top notch in my opinion. I had a couple issues with bubbles when  i was first learning &  i heated a small batch. but i let them over heat a little so it was my fault. After that i can set the timer on my microwave & never have to worry about it in the least & never had anymore bubbles.

Thanks for the info. I will try heating it slower. Lureworks has a youtube video of them heating pourasol. I heated it relatively in the same manner. I realize it may have been a difference in microwaves though. I heated up some lurecraft economy plastic and it does great. My only concern with it is that it contains phthalates. I plan to call them and discuss the other formulas they offer that are phthalate free to see how they will perform.

A cheap digital thermometer will help you to heat the plastisol to the right temps., 350 degrees, in order for it to kick over into a usable material, without burning/scortching it.  Just be sure you stir it before you take it's temp, because microwaves heat from the inside out, and the plastisol in the middle will be hotter that what's on the surface.

I always add a little heat stabilizer, because I usually err on the too hot side, and I reheat a lot.

Edited by mark poulson

10 hours ago, mark poulson said:

A cheap digital thermometer will help you to heat the plastisol to the right temps., 350 degrees, in order for it to kick over into a usable material, without burning/scortching it.  Just be sure you stir it before you take it's temp, because microwaves heat from the inside out, and the plastisol in the middle will be hotter that what's on the surface.

I always add a little heat stabilizer, because I usually err on the too hot side, and I reheat a lot.

I use a instant read digital thermometer. It started to get the bubbles about the time it was changing back to thin (330ish). I scraped the bubbles to the outer edge and was able to use it but certainly dont want to have to do that every time.

10 hours ago, MonteSS said:

Moisture from the summer high humidity.

Now this could have had an impact on things. Not sure what the actual humidity was but it was hot out and it had rained earlier in the day. Whats odd though is that I heated another brand of plastic and it did great. Maybe the lureworks is just more sensitive to humidity. 

regardless what brand you use, eventually science takes over. there is not s single brand on the market that wont bubble eventually. Humidity  and how fast it is heated makes the most issues. A degasser is very affordable and will save you a bunch of money in the long run, everyone should own one IMO.

15 hours ago, Baitjunkys said:

Humidity  and how fast it is heated makes the most issues. A degasser is very affordable and will save you a bunch of money in the long run, everyone should own one IMO.

As far as humidity goes how much  is too high to heat plastic. I heat my plastic in a microwave. With  8 ounces of plastic I normally go 1.5 min first. Then 45 seconds and on down till I get to around 350ish. Gently stirring between each heat cycle. 

When degassing do you do it before or after heating the plastic?

Thank you for the info.

6 hours ago, DoubleT said:

As far as humidity goes how much  is too high to heat plastic. I heat my plastic in a microwave. With  8 ounces of plastic I normally go 1.5 min first. Then 45 seconds and on down till I get to around 350ish. Gently stirring between each heat cycle. 

When degassing do you do it before or after heating the plastic?

Thank you for the info.

Deair before heating.  This allows you to shake the crap out of it and be sure it is mixed properly.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Parishomme said:

If something is not usable why keep trying to use it to me that's a waste of time and money. I recently had that issue and I posted my problem on this site, I contacted the manufacturer and they responded immediately to my concerns and replaced what I  had purchased at no extra cost. 

Baitjunky is just sharing what he has learned from being in the soft plastic business for years.  I am sure it is based on a great deal of past first hand experience.

You should contact the manuf. directly, and ask them for help.  Everyone has a different policy when it comes to customer service.