captain belly

Another Hook-in-Finger story

My 15 year old was tying a jug to some driftwood and was going to release it in the current of a notched wing dike.  When he let the line out and dropped the baited hook, the hook caught and the weight of the boat in the current pulled the hook through his finger  (actually... I had to finish the barb through myself).  My crappy rapala needle nose cutters couldn't cut the shank, so we had a 20 minute boat ride back to my truck to get some good wire cutters.  I now have really good cutters in my boat box. 

9778902_IMG_7767copy.thumb.JPG.d3b0f315fd4132770ef0423d9d670685.JPG

Keep an eye out for infection. Catfish baits tend not to be too sterile.

I recently hooked myself in the same finger, but the hook was a lot smaller than that one! I was not brave enough to pull the barb through and so ripped it out with a pair of pliers. I had helpers, but did the ripping myself, did not want to risk having to do the job twice :)

Dave

I do believe that anyone that fishes long enough will have that problem.  If barbless hooks were not so darned expensive, and almost impossible to find in many styles, I would just change over.  Don't really need that barb anymore if you keep the line tight.

I'm getting pretty good at removing mine with pliers, heavy line, .......... but I don't want to do it on anyone else.