School Master

Eagle Claw V-Bend

That is the 500BP Lil' Nasty and yes, I have, and still do use them.  I've used them from a size #4 up to a 3/0 and I'll try to give you my take. These are much better than the Matzuo sickle hooks, the wire is stronger and out of a few thousand so far no bad ones, plus it is wicked sharp. Performance is excellent as well, I use the 3/0 for my finesse swim bait jig heads which is just a ball head, 1/16oz and 1/8oz primarily with 1/4oz every now and again.  I have yet to lose a fish that I have hooked on any head I've made with them, they hold extremely well, the only way I think you'd lose a fish is if the hook were to break or your line.  Now the only downside is the gap is slightly smaller than a round bend so you may not hook slashing fish but again, if you get the hook in them they are caught. This is a light wire hook that works well for finesse presentations, even with the 3/0 I don't go past 8# line, you don't need much pressure to get full penetration, as I mentioned earlier, these hooks are wicked sharp because of the needle point and fine wire. I hope this helps.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, School Master said:

Great guys, for the price it's worth a shot, thanks for the info.

I typically use 1/0 hooks and they fit very well in my 2.75" tubes. Maybe with the smaller gap a 2/0 would be in order? I throw them on very light rod and 6lb flouro, so I think they will preform well.

I fish 2.75" tubes a lot and the 2/0 is perfect.  I use the same ball head jig in the same 1/16oz and 1/8oz that I use for finesse swimbaits, the only difference is I tend to use the 2/0 hook for tubes. Now you have to realize I'm fishing a shallow rocky river for smallmouth so I need a light weight but a tapered tube jig with the same hook will work well. I believe you'll really like the hook just based on the line strength and type you are using, it is very hard to beat the hook for light line simply because it penetrates with very little pressure and it holds so secure it isn't funny, it is a serious hook!!

Does Eagle Claw make any worm hooks with that wire and configuration?

I used to use the Mustad Megalite 5/0 EWG hooks for thick soft plastics, like Fat Ikas, but they stopped making them, so I'm looking for a substitute.

Never mind.  I just went through every worm hook on the Eagle Claw site, and nada.  Drat!

Edited by mark poulson

4 hours ago, mark poulson said:

I used to use the Mustad Megalite 5/0 EWG hooks for thick soft plastics, like Fat Ikas, but they stopped making them, so I'm looking for a substitute.

Never mind.  I just went through every worm hook on the Eagle Claw site, and nada.  Drat!

Here's something close

https://vmcpeche.com/products/barbarian-large-eye-jig-90°

7 hours ago, mark poulson said:

They make the worm hooks in the Trokar line. They have the Big Nasty flipping hook and the Big Nasty offset worm hook.

UPDATE:

I think it's going to work very well for me. It's going to keep those big smallies pinned. I haven't thrown it yet, but for the price it seems like a perfect option for my situation. I go through a lot of tube heads fishing in the great lakes. 

I do wish I would have went with the 1/0. The gap on the 2/0 is nice, but it sits a little far back far my liking (that's being very picky, you know the fish don't care). I just don't like the hook to over power my tube. Pictured is a 3/8 head and a 2.75" tube. Deadly fall combo.

IMG_1952.JPG

IMG_1951.JPG

• Like 2