Parishomme

Bojon Cd/Dvd Tube Dipping

I have the angling ai 4" double dipper tube mold & my next one will be the xtra large mold.  I have also hand dipped & I have also injected tubes in one color & then hand dipped them another color so i could have different color tail or ever dipped in two different colors for three colored baits, There are definite advantages to hand dipping including making whatever custom colors you want & they can be made as  big & as long as you want, but the big one is it can be done for pennies on the dollar compared to injecting. Injecting is so much quicker with this mold however since it makes 5 at a time that it has the advantage there even if i'm going to dip in other colors because you can knock out a 50 pack in short order. Cutting tails is no big deal with my beefedup version of lurecrafts press & wether hand dipping or using my mold it still has to be done,   Without a doubt however Bohon was a tube dipping master way ahead of his time & did an absolutley outstanding job & has helped so many folks get started & made the learning curve pretty much non existent for  anyone that was interested in it & for that we should all be thankful.

Edited by Les Young

Getting that video is like pulling teeth I swear

main reason I still want that CD out in the open is that it will soon be a lost technique 

and that is unacceptable.  Like I said, I gave up and just bought a tube mold from angling AI. Going to make a rolling cutter ( also a Bojons information that took me month to find a picture of on line) but as you can see, still no video

I'll post what I could find

Looking back at all the comments and remarks, pictures. Thanks for your input but We Still have very limited information received from this post. I'm Sure if Bojon were here he would of put an end to this bs by stepping  in and would of posted , & answered any questions and would of freely given any information that this post originally started requesting. Definitely He unselfishly has helped many others by sharing all his knowledge. Yes I find it very fustrating as time has passed and will pass as were still without his Cd.  Why?

Edited by Parishomme

50 minutes ago, Parishomme said:

Looking back at all the comments and remarks, pictures. Thanks for your input but We Still have very limited information received from this post. I'm Sure if Bojon were here he would of put an end to this bs by stepping  in and would of posted , & answered any questions and would of freely given any information that this post originally started requesting. Definitely He unselfishly has helped many others by sharing all his knowledge. Yes I find it very fustrating as time has passed and will pass as were still without his Cd.  Why?

You're putting too much into this process he did not have some breakthrough process in fact many that tried it have moved on to other methods, wish I still had the CD's I would send them to you for free as I moved on not long after getting them but trust me you will be underwhelmed at the process its flat out that simple, a few bent wires of you favorite diameter and length a few disposable aluminum pans a couple cheap hot plates and some patience as you won't be breaking any records in production

Also keep in mind that most folks from that time period probably aren't even on the site any more

Good luck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, alsworms said:

Good point.  Seen many come and go on here through the years.

Yeah its a shame, to put it in perspective I searched for these videos and found a thread where the links were still on the page albeit broken and decided maybe we could reach out to the individual that posted them to see if he still may have them 1 he has not signed on in quite a long time and 2 and the more important one is his birthday was something in the early 30's so we are prolly loosing many from the period in which hand pouring was king

I wish to suggest to take what you have from this thread and move out on your own path and perfect a new process using the bits of information. Post your process here and asses any received critiques. You maybe very surprised at the final results. 

Yes it it is too bad that we tend to lose great information from history but I am only seeing great improvement in equipment and techniques all brought to us by guys and gals with a vision, the how to, and no fear of  failure. Good luck and let the imagination run!

• Like 3

Someone needs to propose an initial horizontal dipping block design for discussion purposes, so that the idea can be 'fine-tuned' before starting. This should cut down on the trial and error phase.

I am not a 'plastics guy', so you guys need to get to grips with this idea. A simple sketch is all that is needed for discussion.

Dave

I have looked and not come across the clips he sent me years ago.  However dipping tubes is about as easy as it gets and doesn't have to be messy or complicated.   So much of what we do boils down to the skill set and ability one has or more importantly doesn't have.     For the cost, ease,  and speed dipping tubes is surprisingly quick process.  Personally I didn't find horizontal dipping as a decent method... well in a bread pan set up and the L shaped dipping rod/handle set up but am using a modified vertical to horizontal method.  

The proper sized spike that I round over the point was the route I went with and the spike head slides into a holder to hang vertically.   One can flat out dip a lot of tubes fast if they have the ability and are set up properly.   

I preferred to have multiple 4 oz cups ready to go.   Or would do a single 4 oz cup and tweak when color matching or doing custom colors for guys  (could then layout the tubes for comparison in a single shot or send them to the guy depending on volume ordered).  I would heat up the first cup and have it ready to dip and maintain a second and third cup with brief heating so they were ready to go once the first cup was dipped out.   I had about 100 dipping rods.   The cup is tiled slightly so that you can dip and twist the rod and get a bout a 4 1/2 inch dip on the spike.   You pull it out invert/twist and hang and as long as you control temperatures you get no dimple in the front of the tube.  I could dip out a 4 oz cup until just a thin coating of plastic was left then started on the second cup... then the third.   The tubes easily slide off the pre lubricated spikes (worm oil) and are ready to be cut to length and tails split.   Almost all my tubes are the gitzit style tube.   Takes more time to do the bulkier flipping style tube but if you use cooler plastic can build up the thicker wall easily.

If the spikes get too hot (yes you can dip and slide off tubes that quick) and you don't control the temperature you run into issues.   You can work on thickness based on plastic temperature but then going to have to reheat plastic.   Easier just to thinner multiple coats in my opinion.   I hang the spikes on egg crate  attached to a shelf or had a  shelf with routed slots for the spike to slide into and rest (egg crate my preferred method).    

So for less than 40 bucks one can have enough rods to dip until you heart is content.  Temperatures have no clue always been the type you know when the temp is right type.  Easy hobby no need to over complicate things.  

GrapeTubes2.jpg

tube_zps089cc5ab.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/20/2018 at 6:55 AM, gone2long said:

Yeah its a shame, to put it in perspective I searched for these videos and found a thread where the links were still on the page albeit broken and decided maybe we could reach out to the individual that posted them to see if he still may have them 1 he has not signed on in quite a long time and 2 and the more important one is his birthday was something in the early 30's so we are prolly loosing many from the period in which hand pouring was king

We all know that Bojon (Ron) has passed away.

I did a little research and found that JSC (the member with a birthdate from the 30s) has also passed away as of June 2017 in Florida.

RIP both.

I sincerely hope that we all warmly remember these two members and keep in mind that they always selflessly shared their respective knowledge and experiences with all who indulge in lure making.  I hope we all continue their legacy of sharing and respect.

Maybe someday before it becomes "lost to the ages", someone will share the Bojon DVD.  I'm sure Ron would want that.

Rick