DixieRods

Worm Farming & Raising Live Baits

Hi Guys! Just joined. Looking forward to the posts.

Is anyone here worm farming and/or raising live baits for resale? I do rod building, rod and reel repair and vintage rod and reel restorations, but that is not bringing in the amount of full-time income I'm looking for. I do have some property: 4 acres with a pond, an old farm house and two large outside storage buildings. I'm thinking of moving my rod building and repair operation into one of the outside buildings, using the old house as a small bait and tackle shop and I'm looking into the possibilities of starting a worm farm and also raising different live baits (different minnows, crickets, etc). I'm thinking with 3-4 areas of possible income, that should provide what I need. But I wanted to hear from anyone that has tried or is currently raising worms for anglers and selling the compost to nurseries. I'd like about $3-$4k per month from the worm business. Didn't know if I was over-reaching there or what. Does anyone have any experience in this or the raising of minnows and different live bait?

On 9/12/2018 at 7:55 AM, Vodkaman said:

Willie Rip is very knowledgeable in this department. Check out his YouTube page.

Also, here is a link to a BSF forum that I have just signed up to, great information here. I am planning to dabble with BSF when my hip recovers a little and I get some mobility back.

Dave

Feel better fast!