shorthairman

New Guy Needs Help

Hello guys and gals,

Just getting started in lure making and could use some (not some...a lot) of help.  I want to start with a lead jigging slab, which I have a mold for.  However for my next endeavor, I would like to make a lead lure that does not have a mold for it. What suggestions do you have for making my own mold?

As far a finishing the lures I have heard Createx makes a good air brush paint (I have an air brush and some experience with it although it is not a $200 model) any other suggestions or ideas for paint?  I would like the lures to be painted in perch, firetiger, shad, (multi-colored) etc. patterns.  Also if I would like them to be chrome is there a way to do that?  For example black back faded down to a chrome belly. (I saw someone said they had a powder paint that is as good as chrome?) Can I airbrush other colors over that?  Also how hard are powder paints to use?  Whats the process for using them?

What do you guys suggest as the best (hardest/most durable) clear coat to put on to finish them?  I will be using them in and around rocks and gravel and I know banging them on rocks that no finish will prevent chipping, but would like something that has the best chance to stand up to the rocks.  I would like to do batches of around 20 at a time and prefer for the finish to be clear as some baits will be white. 

Thanks for taking the time to help a newbie out!

I can’t help with lead molds or powder paint, which you should address to the Wire Baits forum for suggestions.  Createx and its sub-brands Wicked and Auto Air are the biggest water based acrylic latex paints world wide and are good products, but certainly not the only ones.  You can mix and match among many brands, just depending on the specific colors you want to use, including taxidermy paints designed to match animal colors.  I don’t think there are any cost effective chrome paints you can use that can be topcoated with the most durable moisture cured urethanes or UV cured polyester resins without ruining their shine.  We crankbait makers tend to use adhesive foils for that, which can be textured to represent fish scales.  Brite Bak is a brand of thin adhesive aluminum HVAC foil that I like.  I suggest using moisture cured urethane for metal lures.  It’s very durable, clear, non yellowing, waterproof and adheres well to metal.  The most used brands are KBS Diamond Coat and Dick Nite Fishermun’s Lurecoat S81.  Epoxy is a popular crankbait topcoat but is not ideal for metal jigs since it chips off sharp metal edges very easily.  Hope this helps.

• Like 1

First welcome to the forum...

youmay want to post your question regarding your lead bait down in the “Wire Bait” forum..Those guys should be able to give you some help on your project..This forum up here is more of a crank bait forum..as for the question on your paints and top coat I suggest you use the search feature here..it will give you days of reading on those topics..Nathan

• Like 1