MTrouTX

Swim/twitch bait help

Beautiful bait!  You are a really talented carver!

The material you cast it from is probably of a different buoyancy than your wood master, so the two sections may have different fall rates, and may not fall level. 

That would put a bind into the hinge joint. 

I found that a really free moving joint is essential, since the water moving over the bait is not creating huge vortices (thank you  Vodkaman Dave) at the speeds I typically swim a glide bait.

I found those two things were key for me to get my glide baits to glide in an S pattern.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That hinge looks a very close fit, and as Mark states; the slightest difference in fall rate or angle would cause the hinge to bind. I would shave 0.5mm off top and bottom hinge faces, to give a little extra tolerance. If that does not fix the problem, then loosen the pin hole a tad.

After these mods, you will have to step it up, float test and adjust ballast so that both sections float (or sink) level with each other.

Total freedom of the joint is essential for function.

Beautiful lure. Good luck with it.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The first pour was without any micro-balloons, I am pouring currently several variations of the sections with different quantities of balloons.   I will remove some material from the hinge area to see if that helps.  My first initial idea for the hook and main line eye is in this orientation.   Thoughts?20180916_104708.thumb.jpg.0312db5effb4082d20cbe3b04f530911.jpg20180916_104730.thumb.jpg.7251cda777d105522b06b3ee7b36b5c9.jpg

Do you have video capability. I find video a great tool for analyzing a lure's movements in the water. You might see things on playback that you miss at the live swim, plus, I would love to see this little lure in action.

This is the size of lure that I need for bawal at my local ponds, perhaps a tad shorter (small mouths), although they would not let me use it for competition. If I was having a bad day, I would use such a lure for fun for the last 30 minutes, declaring myself out of the running.

Dave

• Like 1

Ya I can get some video of it.  My water pump in my fish tank went out last week.  It works great for  continuous motion in a fish tank.  

I'm in south Texas, so the bait is a pinfish, speckled sea trout love them.  Like they need rehab or an intervention cuz they are like crack heads for pinfish.  Bait is about 4 inches.   And about 24gs before paint and clear coat.780326225_pinfish-620x324(1).jpg.ed0404de283d18ceed858871a4b65692.jpg

Edited by MTrouTX
  • Like 1

Ya they have a pretty similar profile.   I haven't dived into hybrid baits yet I typically carve wood baits, mullet, gizzard shad, mud minnows,  sunfish and the such.  I used to make decoys for ice fishing, but since moving to TX I've had to change things up and step up my game.  I'm pretty new to making molded lures and the ratios needed to adjust sink rates.  But I have some people here that like my work and want some multi production models, so I figured I would give it a shot.   

Because I have no access to micro balloons, I have no choice but to mold a pure resin. As all the resins are roughly the same specific gravity (SG) of 1.2 (water = 1.0), I decided to go with cheap and readily available fiberglass resin. Not an ideal material; brittle, toxicity issues, shrinkage, but with careful handling it sets in minutes, cleans up with emery easily, producing a very nice lure, keeping in mind that I do not sell.

Because of the SG issue, I have no choice but to make my lure hollow by assembling two molded halves together in order to get the lure to float.

I have the mold design 'down', but have not produced a successful mold to date due to making the lure wall thickness too thin, the problem being the soft silicone, again, I have to work with what is available locally.

Your work on this lure has definitely inspired me to have another go, starting with some CAD design. If I can get the lure to float (on paper) I will take it to the next level of 3D printing a mold master.

Dave

• Like 2

Ya man buoyancy and sink rate are a pain in the a$$.  Since I started fishing salt water and changed my lure design to salt water I'm constantly having to check the salinity of my test tank.   Which you would think not a big deal once your dialed in, but then a few days goes by and a pint or so water evaporates and you dont test the water.... and spend 2 days trying to figure out why your glide bait is a topwater now.    I'm truly glad I could inspire someone to try something again that may not have worked before.   And I'll let you know how the testing goes Wednesday.  Best of luck bud.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Saugerman, 

I've been wood working since taking shop class as a kid.   So carving was I guess the natural progression for some one who loves to fish.   Lol it didn't happen overnight that's for sure,  days and days of carving on a lure just to find out I've been carving a turd.  :(

My wife had me make a shadow box for all my duds.... aka the wall of shame, but she loves them.

Thanks again and good luck

• Like 1
  • Haha 1