GSXRfanIm

Devcon 2 ton problems

So I have been using D2T for several years now and never had any problems.  I had a little bit of a layoff from painting lures and got back into it to paint some walleye baits for a friend.

Bought some new D2T and mixed it the same way that I always have in the same room of my house.

It doesnt last 1 minute and it turns tacky real fast, smells and very warm and has ruined several paint jobs for me.

I actually had 2 containers of D2T thinking one was old or just bad. Did the same thing.

It mixes fine and looks good so I start brushing it on and Boom! it tacks up out of nowhere and becomes useless.

Anyone ever experience this? What gives? 

Are you sure you didn’t pick up Devcon 5 Minute epoxy instead of Two Ton?  At any rate, I wouldn’t use it.  If the hardener is the quick variety, it will always cure too quickly no matter how you dope it, plus it will turn an ugly brown from UV exposure, plus it is only water resistant, not waterproof.  

• Like 1

I had the same thing happen to me once. I had just purchased the D2T in the double plunger tube. It got tacky fast and never fully cured. When I compared that ‘new’ tube to another tube of D2T, I could see that new tube had  a slight cloudiness to it.  I only noticed it when comparing the 2 tubes under good light. It’s possible the D2T you bought ‘new’ was actually an older tube that had been on the shelf for a while or had sat in some warehouse.

Maybe it was exposed to a very high or low temperature at some point? I had a new tube go bad before it was opened because I left it in my car for a day in winter. It turned to a very milky color. It never fully cleared up when stored at room temp. I tried it on a piece of scrap and all I got was a gummy mess.

I try to buy my D2T in person and compare all the tubes to see if any are cloudy.

• Like 1