Saugerman

Crankbait Bills

I tack my bills in place with the merest dab of superglue. If alignment is not perfect, the lip can easily be dislodged for another go. Once the alignment is good, I apply more superglue (runny) which is drawn into the joint by capillary action. The top coat of epoxy around the edge of the joint completes the installation.

Dave

• Like 2

I use Rod Bond epoxy paste.  It has a very long work time of at least an hour which I use to evaluate the lip position and tweak as required.  I usually build cranks in batches of 5-6 and Rod Bond lets me mix one batch of epoxy, insert all the lips, and fuss with them to my heart’s content.  I also like that it will not run out of the lip slot like a liquid can.

• Like 2

I used to be impatient in many crankbait building tasks.  Screwing up baits slowly taught me to quell that impulse.  It took years but it was a good lesson to learn.  One thing that helped was to plan epoxying or any clearcoating late in the day so it has overnight to cure.  Haste really does make waste when building crankbaits.

I really like epoxy paste for hardware and lip installation.  It’s strong.  It stays where you put it and it holds lips in place while hardening.  Lip slot a little too thick?  No problem.  But it stays soft enough to tweak a lip position for an hour or so after gluing.  I use a wire to fill the lip slot completely with the paste and then push the dry lip in.  Wipe off the epoxy that squeezes out.  Hang up the bait and wait at least 8 hours before clearcoating .  Superglue?  No thanks.  Sets too damned fast and I think it has questionable shock resistance.  The times when I have had lips in custom crankbaits come loose, I see that they were superglued.

• Like 2

I’ve used  5 min epoxy on lips but decided I didn’t want it anywhere on a bait where it could show because it can turn an ugly brown color from UV exposure.  Now I only use it where it will be covered with paint and that includes the lip slot.  Since I install lips after painting, it’s out for that application.  Really the only time I use it now is to join the halves of a split bait into which I’m installing hardware.  Different strokes...