4/0

Hook help / wire strength

Hi All,

Was going to put this up earlier but we have been dealing with this storm.

I have been experimenting ( look out) with making some jigs. Just using nail polish for now till I figure out the bigger problems.

I have one of those now.

Poured a few  jigs from the Do- it  Ultra mold.  I Have a Lee 20lb. pot that bought , all is good there.

I tied up two of these jigs 3/8 oz.  with natural Bucktail . One with red thread , one with dark green thread. I tipped the jig ( green thread ) with a mud minnow and caught 11 flounder. Lost a nice fish 20" or better.   Because the hooks are straightening out.

I had to bend the hook back after every fish.  Hook is a Eagle Claw # 570 BP ( bought from Captain Hook )  using them in 1/0 , 2/0, 3/0 and 4/0.  So I need a stronger / better hook and I am looking for advice on hook strength or wire strength . 

This is exclusive saltwater but I like a black hook.  I like the " less is better" mode when fishing.

Appreciate your help with this one .

Thanks,

Butch

001.JPG

002.JPG

004.JPG

008.JPG

The 570 is an Aberdeen hook and made to bend out with steady pressure.  Eagle Claw makes the 3052BP which is a stronger hook but you made a little heavier than that even.  The Owner 5313 only goes to 3/0, and your mold will need to be modified slightly, not hard to do. The Gamakatsu 604 is another that will work and comes in all the sizes you need, again you may need to modify the mold by widening the hook slot and eye areas a bit but the only way to know is by trying it.

Thanks,

I am learning the wire size vs. strength.  I was thinking that you could have the same wire size and harden it with tempering.

I can modify the mold, don't have a problem there.

Since what I have now is .035, looks like I need to start with the .046. 

Make three or four and see what happens.

2 hours ago, 4/0 said:

Thanks,

I am learning the wire size vs. strength.  I was thinking that you could have the same wire size and harden it with tempering.

I have been pouring a lot of these for the saltwater guys that are fishing flounder. On the 3/8 oz ultra-minnow mold, the following two hooks are what I have been putting in the cavity. Both of these two hooks have very little to no mold mods:

Mustad # 32786 or EC L786 60º  hook..........3/0.......... both are (.054) strong hooks Black nickle fininsh.

EC L635 O'Shaughnessy  Duratin  90º  hook.......................3/0............ (.051) Seaguard salt water finish .

In speaking to lot of the guys that buy this jig from me, some had a preference for the saltwater hook and some liked the black nickle hook. Those that wanted the saltwater hook, liked the longer hook shank for short hook ups.

If you want a 3/0 to try in the 3/8 oz cavity, I can send you 1 of each. PM me your full name and  mailing address

11 hours ago, 4/0 said:

Thanks,

8 hours ago, cadman said:

I have been pouring a lot of these for the saltwater guys that are fishing flounder. On the 3/8 oz ultra-minnow mold, the following two hooks are what I have been putting in the cavity. Both of these two hooks have very little to no mold mods:

Mustad # 32786 or EC L786 60º  hook..........3/0.......... both are (.054) strong hooks Black nickle fininsh.

EC L635 O'Shaughnessy  Duratin  90º  hook.......................3/0............ (.051) Seaguard salt water finish .

In speaking to lot of the guys that buy this jig from me, some had a preference for the saltwater hook and some liked the black nickle hook. Those that wanted the saltwater hook, liked the longer hook shank for short hook ups.

If you want a 3/0 to try in the 3/8 oz cavity, I can send you 1 of each. PM me your full name and  mailing address

I appreciate the help from everyone.

Cadman,

I am very familiar with the Mustad Duratin Hook. It holds up well. I used to fish the 7731AD exclusively when I was running offshore. When I sharpened the hooks I would "paint" them with a black Sharpie pen. That would keep the the points from rusting. I eventually started "painting" the whole hook black with a sharpie and noticed increased bites with Wahoo and more fish in the boat.

The Redfish are mixed in with Flounder here and you can tie into a 15 lb. fish and have a nice surprise.  Of course we are fishing oyster beds so a lot jigs can be lost. The price you pay.

I will send you a pm.

Also Thanks for the advice on wire size. I will have to get my mic. out now.

Butch