ddl

best paint over powder paint?

im really disappointed ,ive just airbrushed autoborn sealer over baked powder paint spinnerbaits head and i can removed it just by sweeping my thumb on it ,it don't even need water just one pass and gone . so im sure you know what's my question , what's brand could stick on that ?  it's not easy all ,even createx don't work at all

My first question is what is your base color and what color(s) are you trying to put over your base color? My next question is why not use powder paint as your 2nd, 3rd and 4th  colors.  Unless you are trying to make scaling, I apply up to 6 colors of powder paint onto my base color.  No need to start another process by spray painting. Take a look at my avatar. Lot of colors there. JMO

PS: I've read that people bake their jigs after they apply createx  over powder paint. Don't know if that works or solves your problem.

Edited by cadman

Baking works with acrylic hobby paint, though sometimes you get a small colour change, or if you have to much powder stuff can shift( I just add eyes to jigs). I epoxy topcoat just for good measure. Not sure if you want the extra step.  Try Cadman's baking idea at lower temperature to see what happens with your paint? 

15 hours ago, cadman said:

My first question is what is your base color and what color(s) are you trying to put over your base color? My next question is why not use powder paint as your 2nd, 3rd and 4th  colors.  Unless you are trying to make scaling, I apply up to 6 colors of powder paint onto my base color.  No need to start another process by spray painting. Take a look at my avatar. Lot of colors there. JMO

PS: I've read that people bake their jigs after they apply createx  over powder paint. Don't know if that works or solves your problem.

I can tell you that, for me, I am no Ted Cadman magician when it comes to multiple powder coat colors.  I still marvel at how much detail you can achieve!

Yes sir , airbrush.

I use RM Lacquer which is vertually impossible to source anymore but Polytranspar (brand) is very good and can be bought in small quantity. 

Not to discourage you but lacquer is a totally different animal than water base paint.  ( Another subject altogether) I haven't searched the forum to see if there is info on basic use. 

Mckezee (spelling) taxidermy supply is the source for PT.

Regards,

Blades

• Thanks 1

cheers! guys btw don't waist your time with createx it don't stick at all,even a wet piece of clothe will completely remove all the paints with just one pass.maybe auto air is better or wicked ? but once it don't stick at all like that even the best epoxy over it will not make miracle

On 10/10/2018 at 4:33 PM, ddl said:

cheers! guys btw don't waist your time with createx it don't stick at all,even a wet piece of clothe will completely remove all the paints with just one pass.maybe auto air is better or wicked ? but once it don't stick at all like that even the best epoxy over it will not make miracle

DDL,

How long did you allow the Autoborne sealer to cure? Autoborne sealer  works best when heat cured. Barring that, it requires a minimum of 48 curing time. I can't speak to how it performs over powder paint, but our customers have had success applying it over a number of other  finishes. You can partially cure it with a heat gun between coats -- this will reduce your wait time between coats, but I've found it's not a  substitute for time/baking.

Hope that helps.

Good Fishing