capecodbob

capecodbob

I just use my big shop compressor with a inline air regulator that I installed and also a inline filter so no oil or water gets in there.  Works good, I can spray for quite a while before it turns on, but when it does it always scares the sh** out of me haha.    I have a 6 gallon shop compressor, I had a smaller one first which worked but was always turning on and was difficult to regulate the air.   I'm working in my shop, so noise isn't a factor.  If you are doing it in your house or somewhere noise matters, look into one of the on demand air compressors for airbrushing.  I don't have any experience with those.

Welcome to Tackle underground by the way!  Everything I learned was basically off this forum, and youtube videos.  Lots of good help here.  If you use the search function, there are many good topics already covered in the past too!

Edited by eastman03

The choice of compressor depends mainly on the environment you will use it in.  I use a 6 gallon Porter Cable 135 psi tool compressor.  Once it airs up it will run my brush for an hour or two but Eastman03 is right - it’s darn loud when it cuts on.  I like mine because it was reasonable cost and easily fits under my garage workbench.  If it were 30 gallons, I’d like it even more.  High quality quiet dedicated airbrush compressors from companies like Iwata tend to be very costly.  Tool compressors are the choice as long as noise is not an issue.  If it is, I recommend an airbrush compressor that advertises a maximum psi of at least 45-50 psi.  That’s because psi on a small compressor drops about 10 psi from its max psi when running an airbrush sustained.  I like at least 40 psi of sustained psi available even though I don’t shoot at above 30 psi sustained.  That said, even airbrush compressors are loud enough that I wouldn’t run most of them in my house with family members asleep.

Check out the California Air compressors ......... in expensive and very quite.   I have several compressors but I only use the California air and Silentaire because of the noise of the others.  I really have to listen to make sure the Silentaire is on but it is more expensive.

I also use a shop air compressor, but I piped air lines from my garage into my enclosed shop which is a small room off the garage.  I also insulated the room, primarily for cooling, but it also greatly reduces the noise from the compressor.  Basically moving the air compressor away and not in a direct line would help.  I also added filters and regulators like Eastman03.  With the plumbing it is important to do the soapy water test on all fittings to eliminate leaks.

I've been a long time jig maker but am getting started painting cranks and I just bought a California Air Tools compressor and it is amazingly quiet.  I am setting up a spray booth in a spare bedroom (advantage of living alone?) and you can barely hear it running right outside the closed door. Can't hear it at all 5' down the hall.