MJ54

Epoxy wood sealer application

What is the best way to apply the wood epoxy, like the Devcon 2 ton 30 minute?  I have been watching video and have seen a few ways.  Most seem to thin it with 20-25% denatured alcohol.  Then I have seen some people brush it on with cheap brush or foam brush and then others that were applying it with a rag, similar to how stain can be applied.  My personal thought is that brushing would be better as it will give more thickness to the coating than rubbing it into the wood.  Is there a better option with the epoxy, or do both work well?

Thanks for assistance.

I use cheap flat nylon bristle artist brushes that I bought at Michael’s.  Clean them thoroughly with lacquer thinner and they last for years.  The small bristles do a good job of popping epoxy bubbles as you brush it on.  As far as thickness goes, I like it medium thick.  So I pick up a little denatured alcohol with the brush and flick it into the epoxy a couple of times, mixing it in until it I get the viscosity I want.  If it is too thin and runny, you will get grain pops when the epoxy hardens.  I estimate that two coats (under and topcoat) of epoxy and paint on an average bass bait weigh about .02 ounce, which I figure in when designing the bait.

• Like 1