FireballOutdoorProducts

Best epoxy for clear coating jig heads

My first choice and I use it to this day is Devcon 2 Ton (D2T) (30 minute). Once this hardens it is very durable. The only problem with D2T is that it has an amber hue to it and your whites colors don't come out pure white.  But for me , the fish and most people it doesn't matter. If you want pure white colors, my second choice would be Envirotex Lite (E-tex). This is a very clear epoxy, however it is not as hard as D2T, but it does an excellent job as well. There are other epoxies similar to D2T which some guys will chime in on. But many still like D2T and E-tex.

• Like 1

Seems like overkill to me unless you are adding eyes later. If adding eyes to a powder painted bait I just put some Sally Hansen hard as nails fingernail polish over them to make them stay. Last thing I will mention is that when I have epoxied over chartreuse powder paint it reacts bad and turns the bait orange.

Allen

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Munkin said:

Seems like overkill to me unless you are adding eyes later. If adding eyes to a powder painted bait I just put some Sally Hansen hard as nails fingernail polish over them to make them stay. Last thing I will mention is that when I have epoxied over chartreuse powder paint it reacts bad and turns the bait orange.

Allen

Allen,

Yes I only epoxy if I use eyes. However I have never had D2T or E-tex ever react to any powder paint I've used.  Now I have had some clear coat nail polish screw up my powder paint when I put it over eyes. That's why I use epoxy not nail polish to seal my eyes in.

On 10/28/2018 at 11:58 AM, cadman said:

Allen,

Yes I only epoxy if I use eyes. However I have never had D2T or E-tex ever react to any powder paint I've used.  Now I have had some clear coat nail polish screw up my powder paint when I put it over eyes. That's why I use epoxy not nail polish to seal my eyes in.

I don't know what you are doing different but every time I have tried to epoxy over powder paints there is a color change... particularily the chartruese and the Orange.