rynesgto

dipping two color tubes

I have a Tube injection mold from A.I. Say for instance, I want to do an orange inside, and green pumpkin outside color. Can I just inject the orange? Keep them on the rods and just dip in the green pumpkin? do I need the 2nd color to be hotter than normal? I tried this once before about a year ago and the outer color never stuck to the injected color. Any help would be appreciated. 

Edited by rynesgto

5 hours ago, School Master said:

I've been working on a "HD series" and that's basically how I do it. I shoot a laminate tube and just dip the tails before cutting. Mine dipping plastic is maybe a little hotter than usual and I don't have any issues. 

image1.jpeg

how do you shoot a laminate tube?

On 10/24/2018 at 10:01 AM, School Master said:

I've been working on a "HD series" and that's basically how I do it. I shoot a laminate tube and just dip the tails before cutting. Mine dipping plastic is maybe a little hotter than usual and I don't have any issues. 

image1.jpeg

Those are nice. What mold is this?

3 hours ago, RedRum said:

You could try shooting the first color and then take the tube out of the mold, keep it on the rod and dip the part that you want the second color

That's what I was asking. My problem is the couple times I tried it in the past, the second (outer color) didnt stick to the first color. 

Not sure why. It should be sticking regardless of the temp of the existing tube. The only way it wouldn’t stick is if the plastic isn’t hot enough. It would be lumpy though so you’d know.  Try it again and possibly use a softener for the outer layer and one dip so you don’t get a thick variance on the tube diameter. 

It’s all about tubage 

If your plastic for the second color to hot you may have  to dip the third time because the second color will go on thin. I also have had to dip the third time when dipping  several different colors  over a decently bright orange tube because the orange would show trough faintly.  It however wasn't a problem as long as the outer color was warm enough to go on thin.

1 minute ago, Les Young said:

Very nice. I'm going to try laminating some when my twin injector gets here.

You Don't need one, Dip half the tube first then place them back in the mold and inject a lighter color to give it the laminate look. 

The lighter colors seals both colors eliminating  pealing layers.

*Just a tip. 

JGZee1