bladesandbaits

Weld or Solder SS wire to Brass question

Hello all.

I'm experimenting with a new concept on a lure. Will be glad to share the final results and design once I figure it all out and have a final product with no rework .

Issue:

I want to attach (weld/solder) a .35 stainless wire to the underside of a Spinnerbait blade. (currently an Indiana blade or Colorado Blade.)

I am struggling with this as I have tried several methods without much success. I do realize I need to get the plating off the blade or at least on the area I am attempting to attach the wire too or just work with a plain brass blade. I am going to experiment with some silver solder paste but am waiting on it to be delivered.

Has anyone here attempted this and /or is anyone willing to share some knowledge based on there experience ?

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Blades 

I think you're gong to find it tough to solder stainless wire to brass.  Soldering  SS at all is tough.    If you drill a hole in the blade and solder the wire at the point where the wire passes through the hole, you could probably get it to stick for a bit, but would bet the wire will break away from the solder eventually.  I think your best bet would be to use an epoxy or glue if possible...and even that will be difficult to get the wire to stay put unless the SS wire is roughed up somehow to help bond the glue.  

Good luck.  Hope you figure it out.  

PS...just thought of a possibility...One could theoretically use a DC current "tack" weld maybe the end of the wire to the brass, but they might not bond due to the significant difference of properties between the brass and SS.   I have an idea how to try, but wouldn't be the safest method, so won't put the whole idea in writing.   However, maybe it'll plant the seed if you're imaginative.  

Thanks guys.

I was going to try and attach a blade to a SS wire. The wire would be part of the lure so brass won't work because of poor strucutral integrety. 

Tried some different methods using epoxy but again the blade/wire are part of the structural integrity.

I did an experiment with steel wire with positive results.

I think I'm going to abandon the idea. 

I sincerely appreciate the help.

Regards,

Blades

I actually did use a cheap steel Colorado blade and steel piano wire.

But ultimately I want to use a plated blade  and SS  wire. Don't mind polishing off the plating down to the brass on the blade but SS won't solder to steel or brass unless I braze it. 

I don't want the final product to be steel music wire because it will rust.

Regards,

Blades

You might be able to silver braze (aka "silver solder") the SS to brass.  Welding them together is impossible since the brass is non-ferrous....ferrous and non-ferrous metals cannot be welded together.  Most people call it silver solder, but since silver solder melts above 840 degrees F, technically, it is silver braze.  Roughing up the SS surface should help it stick better.