Nathan

Wooden molds..can it be done?

Ok guys..I’m a wooden bait guy..I haven’t poured plastic in years and even then it was nothing like you guys do now..

I also tie fly’s..attached is a picture of a dragonfly pattern I’m working on.For the butt I used a Trout worm which worked perfectly but the worm is to stiff for my liking so I thought I’d pour my own.I’m looking for a easy mold to make...The diameter is about 1/8th inch and about 2” long.I thought I would add about 1/4” section necked down to a 1/16th” so it’s easy to tie to a hook.

My Thought is to take two halves of wood and drill out with appropriate sized drill bits where the halves meet then spray the heck out of them with high heat paint to seal them up ..I would add appropriate spue holes at the top and bottom..What do you guys think?..Thanks..Nathan

A0B92BEF-DD25-4871-A6B0-59836147F449.jpeg

I used alot of Ren Shape... which is probably more similar to wood than alum or plaster in it's properties..... it works - you'll have a few issues though...

1. Will take alot longer to cool down the bait... I'd avoid making baits with very wide/fat sections as they will take forever to cool and de-mold.

2. Distortion of molds... as wood heats / cools - it's possible it can twist, turn, etc... my RenShape molds start bending enough that without clamps on tight - no way you could pour the mold... my guess is wood will do the same thing.

3. Keeping it sealed as it warps/moves/etc could be a challenge.

Otherwise... (LOL) I'd say give it a shot.  One benefit of mold materials that DON'T cool the bait fast is you can make some fantastically thin features/legs as they do not shut off/cool the plastic quickly.

J.

Edited by SlowFISH
  • Thanks 1