cadman

Casting Retainer Putty 1 Pound from Roto-Metals

Has anyone ever used this? If so here are my questions.

Is it moldable to any shape?

Does it harden when used consistently for pouring lead?

Can it be removed easily from small cavities without any residue after I'm done using it?

Is 1 pound of this a lot as I don't need a pound of this?

I have a mold, that I want to fill  the lead collar, however,  i want this as a temporary fix. After I'm done pouring, I want to use the mold and its cavities as they were intended to. Any help would be appreciated.

1 hour ago, smalljaw said:

Cadman, I believe 21XDC uses this stuff, you may want to PM him.  I hope you get an answer here because I too am interested in it. I have used JB Weld putty that hardens once it is cured and while it works well it is hard to remove.

Smalljaw,

I know how to get a hold of him and I'll have him post here with his results

1 lb definitely goes a long way... It stays soft and actually gets softer with the heat of continuous pouring. It works great on molds that you don't want to permanently modify with JB Weld or Red RTV silicone. I like it on some weedless jig molds that I make bladed jigs with as well.  You don't fill the whole weedguard cavity, Just a dab near the head on both sides of the mold. I fill it a little shallow so the closed mold does not let both halves of putty touch each other and pull out.

It also works well for using smaller hooks than a mold was made for like the Midwest finesse mold. I fill in the eyelet areas and use the smaller hook w/o any flash. 

I hope this helps some...