Tuna

Old Crappie Killer Jig

A inexpensive fly tying vice OR a pair of vice grips and a vise , some basic  tying supplies you could have a thousand of those. jig flies

That version looks real easy to make. I tie these (picture) in different variations , it is sort of similar to your 'jig' takes all of 2 minutes to make.  It slays crappie, bluegill.  Makes a good sabiki fly also.   

IMG_0084.thumb.JPG.52ce8fbd15317ed89080b26bf77ed988.JPG

Edited by robn510

Like your avatar. Like the bug-eye design!  I have basic tying tools and vise. I used to tie my own 1/16 dart heads with flashibou.  Looks like some type of barbell for weight, I do have some tungsten beads that I could try and what type of hair? I have some Hareline extra select craft fur coming.  I would probably add a couple strands of flashibou to the mix. What hook is that? A #2 or #4? Thanks.

Sounds like your set. This fly is just deer patch. little floatier than bucktail. I add wraps of lead to make it jiggy yet not sink like a rock. the eyes are just big bead chain. I agree a little flash on them  is better.   hook is a  size 4  tiemco tmc 200r , has a long  curved shank . It is finished with UV epoxy  to make it durable.

IMG_2249.JPG

Edited by robn510

Nice recipe Rob. I will be sure to try. I like the use of the common items to customize creations. I see some guys incorporate mono. I use #20 mono to make an extra barb on a long shank jig head for trailers and also to make my own pitchin hook keepers. I also like using shrink tubing (3m adhesive 4:1 shrink tubing) as mentioned above by smalljaw. The hook spec. saves me the trial and error (expense) too! Thanks.