Jeff Hahn

Wire Weed Guard help

http://www.lurepartsonline.com/Onlin...Weedguard.html

I use this wire weed guard on the jigs that I fish around vegetation. They are 1 1/2 inches long, which is just a tad short when I use a 5/0 hook. Does anyone have an idea where I might find a wire weedguard like this only longer? I could make my own, but don't know where I could get the same twisted type cable.

I've used the plastic coated cable on some jigs that I only use when fishing rocks.  And, it works great for that application.  But, at the length I want, It's not going to be stiff enough to  work well.  The stand guard cable guard works fine on up to a 4/0 jig hook.  But, it's just a tad short when using it on a 5/0 hook, which is what I want to use.

On 11/12/2018 at 4:00 AM, cadman said:

There are many things you can use that comes in a roll. Sevenstrand, and Mason Nylostrand, you can buy at LPO. These are just two. I can get you links later on tonight if you need. You can find this wire on line coated and uncoated .

Does the Nylostrand come off the roll straight, or does it have a curve to it?  I'm asking because I'm wondering if I can use it as a weedguard on my swim jigs.  Ideally, it would have a slight curve, so it would kind of lay over the hook point with a 1/4" clearance once it's glued in place.  I currently use the plastic strand from a weed eater replacement  spool.

56 minutes ago, mark poulson said:

Does the Nylostrand come off the roll straight, or does it have a curve to it?  I'm asking because I'm wondering if I can use it as a weedguard on my swim jigs.  Ideally, it would have a slight curve, so it would kind of lay over the hook point with a 1/4" clearance once it's glued in place.  I currently use the plastic strand from a weed eater replacement  spool.

Mark,

It has a slight curve, however it is flexible, and if you want to take the curve out, it can easily be done by running the nylostrand through a rag while you pull it thru.

• Thanks 1

Update:  Mustang Wire makes these weedguards.  I spoke with a guy at Mustang Wire today. He can make the weedguard I want in a longer version, but the minimum order is 10,000. I don't need that many! And, the cost for making me just 1000 is far to much to justify. And, he would not just sell me 50 feet of the twisted  wire so that I could make my own.  But, after doing some begging, he is sending me a couple feet of the twisted cable that these weedguards are made from so I can make my own. I'll just have to use it very sparingly.

• Like 1