desertbird

First Lot and ? about shooting pearlized

Hello, decided to get my ol' airbrush out from over 30 years ago from high school art class (paasche vl-1) and give painting blanks a try.  I fish in very clear water and wanted to attempt ghost thread fin with pearlized colors.  I think they came out pretty good for my first attempt, but shooting pearlized colors were very challenging.  I started with a narrow base of opaque white on the belly with a slight pearlized fad up the side.  I realized quickly that I just can not see the pearlized color shooting on the bait, nor how my brush is shooting.  I have a bright 3' LED light bar 18" over my shooting surface. I was kinda guessing at how much color was being applied.  I had to take the brush to a dark piece of paper, get the patter shooting and move over to the bait quickly.  I could not apply air, and release paint. How do folks go about seeing the pattern and how it is laying down paint on the bait with createx pearlized paint mainly light colors?  Pearlized silver was the same as white, black was a little easier to see and did not give me as much of a problem.

baits.jpg

When it comes to painting I don't think there is such a thing as too much lighting. It also needs to come from different angles to keep from having shadows. If you only have the one light bar some of your problem could be that it's not fully illuminating your lure. The way my lighting is set up there is light coming from in front, from each side and also from directly overhead.

While it is harder to see the paint when spraying some pearl colors even these tired, 64 year old eyes can see them. That is with the help of my glasses.

Ben

• Like 1