MarlinMike

Is there anyway to fix my lure?

It looks like moisture can get into the lure through the belly hook hanger. How about trying a vacuum with an attachment on the line tie / hook hangers or leaving the lure in some uncooked rice to dry out the inside? 

I had a fogged-up squarebill with a transparent paint job. There was no scale foil inside. I think it had a tiny leak at the rear hook hanger. The moisture in the lure didn’t dissipate without some help.  I used a small shop-vac attachment rigged up to a small rubber hose with duct tape to suck out as much moisture as I could. After that, I left the lure in a sealed Ziploc bag of rice. I forgot about the lure and found my bag of rice a week later. Then, I sealed the 2 hook hangers. It has been clear for a couple of years.

• Like 2

On 11/17/2018 at 6:33 PM, JD_mudbug said:

It looks like moisture can get into the lure through the belly hook hanger. How about trying a vacuum with an attachment on the line tie / hook hangers or leaving the lure in some uncooked rice to dry out the inside? 

I had a fogged-up squarebill with a transparent paint job. There was no scale foil inside. I think it had a tiny leak at the rear hook hanger. The moisture in the lure didn’t dissipate without some help.  I used a small shop-vac attachment rigged up to a small rubber hose with duct tape to suck out as much moisture as I could. After that, I left the lure in a sealed Ziploc bag of rice. I forgot about the lure and found my bag of rice a week later. Then, I sealed the 2 hook hangers. It has been clear for a couple of years.

I'll try that. I wonder why it gets that powdery coating though. That lure was so bad that it looked like someone spray painted it.

It looks like a Mirro Lure. Some of those baits are painted on the inside of the body before the halves are put together.  You see this sometimes on lures with internal foil inserts. My guess is that water was in the bait for a prolonged period, it broke-down some of the belly paint on the inside and spread it. The lure dried out on its own and the spread out paint turned into powdery residue.