FishBlood&RiverMud

Do-It Live Bait Jig - Hook Question

First post.

I'm Andy. Hi!

Casting Live Bait Jigs
Do-It
LBS-6-A

I am using 571 Short Shank hooks 1/0

After casting the first set i didn’t like the hook size in 3/8, 1/2 or 5/8.
Seems too small and too close to lead for me.
The 1/16 up to 1/4 are perfect in a 1/0 though!!

I am thinking a 3/0 would be correct for the bigger sizes. (For what i'm looking for)

Wondering what hook will give me a little more hook gap. Not finding 571 short shank in a 2/0 or 3/0.

I also tried some of the 570 long shank 1/0 and 3/0 hooks that i use for the tear drop style and though the shank was too long.

Hook alternatives to the 1/0 571 Short?

---

This is probably my 12th mold and I have been making lures and sinkers for 10 years or so. 

The cancer has spread and i'm up to 30 colors of powder!

I fish 190-200 days a year. Live right on the Mississippi river in Prescott, WI.
Been lurking here for a few years sipping on all the information.

Time to Join!

Thanks!

Hi Andy,

Welcome to Tackle Underground. Regarding the live bait jig mold, There are very few  hooks that will fit that mold. The hooks you tried, the original EC 571, comes only in 2 sizes #1 and 1/0. As you have found out, the EC 570 hooks will fit in there as well, however they are a longer shank. The only other hook that I know that fits in that mold is a Matzuo #14901 Blk Chrome, Sickle hook.  The hooks are extremely sharp, they are slightly heavier and longer than the #571's . They also have a bigger gap. The hook is unique , however their quality control sometimes isn't all that it should be. If you tell me what size head you want to pour with which hook, I will check the hooks and post some pics.

On another note a jig making addiction is still cheaper than any other addiction. Glad you enjoy making jigs.

Let me know on the head weights and hook sizes.

Cadman

cadman.

Thank you for the insight.

I am interested in a larger hook for 3/8, 1/2, & 5/8 size.

Your description of the Matzuo sounds perfect. Bigger gap, slightly longer than 571 short shanks.

Obviously you've got the mold and the hooks. Picture is worth a thousand words! Thanks!

If they are the ticket. Where do you get them from? 

-Andy

Andy, below is a pic of the mold with hooks in the 3/8 (1/0), 1/2 (2/0) and 5/8(3/0) oz cavities.  All three of those hooks will fit in all three of those cavities. Also a #1 hook will fit in all three of those cavities as well.  However, you will have to tape the hook bend onto the mold so it doesn't move. You will get some flash in the hook eye in the 5/8 oz cavity if you use the #1 hook, as that hook is smaller but does fit. If you want to eliminate flash in the hook eye, or keep lead from filling the hook eye, put some putty in there and it should help  The hooks are Matzuo #14901 black chrome(nickle). You can get them at Lure Parts On Line, Barlows or Jann's. I have not bought them recently, so I don't know what the availability is. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

DSC_1191.JPG

1 hour ago, FishBlood&RiverMud said:

Bummer. 
Completely out of stock LPO, Janns, Barlows. 

Andy,

You can also try Captain Hooks or Shorty's Hook sales in Windsor, MO. Shorty's usually sells by the 1K count per size, they also need a tax ID number. However if you need that many down the road, they may send you some samples and you can set up an account with them later. Finally you may be able to search on line and find the hooks at another outlet or call up Matzuo and they may be able to help you out.