LucasJ

Inline spinner questions

A lot of this stuff is personal choice.

Some of it is what works best in your area as it may be different than what works best in mine.

I like metal beads for the bearing bead but glass or plastic depending on how deeply I want them to run.

Usually plastic but bought some glass to play with over the winter for use next summer for lake trout.

There's a million options out there.

I suggest buying one that works well locally and copying it.

Then after awhile you'll find ways to tweak it for your needs/wants.

• Like 1

Clevis size is dictated more on wire diameter than blade size.  That said, you really need a lot more specifics when it comes to your questions. What kind of blade and size? As for the beads, you don't want glass and you don't want the clevis spinning on plastic beads in larger sizes. Bucktails? Are you talking bucktail spinners used for Pike and Musky?  It makes a difference because most Bass stuff it tied with flat waxed nylon thread in a 210 denier but if I was tying bucktail for a musky spinner I'd use 280 denier gel spun thread which by brand it will be Ultra Thread 280 GSP.  I can give you better answers but I need to know what wire diameter you are using for your spinners, what size blades and what weights you intend on using, and by weight you just need to give me the weight of the brass body you are going to use or the weight of whatever type of body material it is.

• Thanks 1

Thank you. The info I found has me using a brass body 1/14oz. I’m using #4 French blade, 0.30 wire. Tying bucktail for pike.  I’m going with #2 clevis although it called for a #4. I’ll have hollow brass beads on either side of clevis and most likely some solid beads for weight. How’s it sound so far? 

16 hours ago, LucasJ said:

Thank you. The info I found has me using a brass body 1/14oz. I’m using #4 French blade, 0.30 wire. Tying bucktail for pike.  I’m going with #2 clevis although it called for a #4. I’ll have hollow brass beads on either side of clevis and most likely some solid beads for weight. How’s it sound so far? 

I think you are fine and I too would go with the #2 clevis since you are only using .030" wire. The only change I'd make is going solid beads over the hollow, and the reason is the brass body you are using is light so there isn't any need to save weight so just go all solid beads including the beads that the clevis will be spinning on.

• Like 1

On 12/1/2018 at 1:15 PM, smalljaw said:

I think you are fine and I too would go with the #2 clevis since you are only using .030" wire. The only change I'd make is going solid beads over the hollow, and the reason is the brass body you are using is light so there isn't any need to save weight so just go all solid beads including the beads that the clevis will be spinning on.

One more question.  What size brass beads for use in the body of a size 4 spinner?  I’m assuming smaller ones for my clevis bearings. Ty!