Munkin

How to paint/powdercoat/blue chatterbait blades?

Anyone have a solution to making chatterbait blades black? 

Things I have tried so far:

1.Blade dip= Looks like crap and lasts 4 casts.

2. Sharpie = Looks worse than the blade dip and the blade is more purple than black.

3. Powder paint = Always goes on too thick even with the fluid bed.

4. Super Blue Gun Blue = Does not work on stainless steal or whatever the blades are made of.  On a side note the Christmas bulb hanger wires I used to dip the blades came out a really nice matte black.

5. Spray paint = Looks the best so far but isn't going to work well either.

Looking into a small plating setup now but I am at a loss right now. Ideally I would like something that produces a matte black blade like Phenix uses on their blades.

Allen

17 minutes ago, edgecrusher said:

If you use bulk, maybe talk to one of the suppliers who sell plates blades, they may be able to offer a Matt option.

Or find the thread on gold plated jig heads and contact the plater direct.

how about electrostatic powder coater?can get cheap harbor freight!

I don't paint many chatterbait blades but I have done a few. I have only used candy colors but I use my hobby sandblaster to spray the powder on for a nice thin coat.  I hold the blade just like I do a spinner blade, I use a small wood food skewer that I shaved the end a little thinner with a utility knife. The skewer goes into the bottom hole tight enough to keep it wedged and then I hit the blade with a little heat and spray the powder on. I cure them by hanging on a rack in my toaster oven, I made blade hangers out of Christmas ornament hangers I got at the dollar store, just bend one end to go on the rack and the other end in a "V" shape that holds the blade without touching the painted surface.

Allen,

I do something similar to what smalljaw does. I take a small dowel rod and sharpen it  till the point goes into the hole. Then I heat the blade on the under side, hold the blade on a 45  degree angle or steeper and dust the blade with powder paint until the blade gets covered. Once one side is covered, I let it cool and then flip it over and do the other side with the same procedure, if you want both sides painted.

Couple other things to try and I've used this for kill spots, is take some electric tape or flat black tape and adhere it to the blade, then trim the edges off. You will have to sand the blade a little to get a rough surface, then wipe off and finally stick the tape on.

You can buy colored self adhesive flat black vinyl tape in 8-1/2 x 11 sheets, which you can cut , stick on and trim. I've seen this tape available on line, or you can get it from a graphics sign shop that does lettering and vinyl graphics for boats and trucks.  

Some final ideas:

Black Gaffers tape

Matte black pin stripe tape

Black duct tape

Black masking tape

• Like 1

Update on my experiment since I bought a crack torch to heat up the blades:

1. Heated blade in gun blue = Did nothing except smoke a little

2. Heated blade in motor oil = Just made the blade look older

3. Heated blade in Pepsi = Looks like the motor oil one only older

4. Heated just the blade 5 times = Started to turn a little blue but then the blade warped

5. Dipped blade into a medicine cap of spike it = Looks the best so far but the ink built up on the tip of the blade

6. Heated blade into a medicine cap of spike it = Don't do it as I have never seen such an adverse reaction.

Allen

On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 12:07 AM, EironBreaker said:

Munkin, if you want blades painted I have flat black powder paint and an electrostatic gun. Send me a couple blades and I’ll paint them for you.  Try them out and if they are what you want, I can do more later if you want. 

PM me your address and I will send some for your to try, thanks.

Allen

• Like 1