jwfflipper

Dick Nite

“UV stuff” is ultraviolet light cured polyester resin that cures in a couple of minutes with UV light from a source like an inexpensive light designed to cure gel fingernail polish, a black light, etc.  TUers have used two primary brands.  Solarez resin which is designed to coat surf boards and Alumi-UV which is designed for lure coating.  Solarez is inexpensive but many report problems with a white wax blush that forms on it while curing.  It has a medium gloss.   Alumi-UV is a high gloss doming resin (whatever that is) that doesn’t have the white blush problem but which is much more expensive.  It’s a very tough and quick finish.

Edited by BobP
  • Like 1

On 11/24/2018 at 12:23 PM, 21xdc said:

KBS Diamond Clear is better and cheaper... Just my opinion. 

https://www.kbs-coatings.com/DiamondFinish-Clear.html

It's on sale now and free shipping using promo code BF18

Deal ends tomorrow. 

I like Dick Nites better than KBS.  I just finished a quart of KBS, it's good, don't get me wrong, but DN is better.  DN gets harder and has a slicker feel once hardened, and seems to go on a little thinner than KBS.  I also like the fact that DN penetrates into the paint and forms a monolithic( in the sense that it becomes unified with the paint) finish.  

• Like 2

I haven’t used KBS either and so far have been OK  with Dick Nite.  It is apparently harder to store than KBS but yields a good durable “factory-like” finish and like JayBee says, it seems to penetrate acrylic paint to form a monolithic finish.  I quickly flood coat it on lures with a brush and hang them to dry.  It is sensitive to begin curing in the container if you contaminate it with moisture by dipping lures in it, which some report is not a problem with KBS, so I use the tap-the-can method of storing and dispensing the small amounts I coat lures with.  Either MCU has a good reputation.  KBS is more widely available since you can order it from several online automotive parts sites like JEGS, etc.

• Like 2