Chris Moore

Beefed Up Finesse Jig Search and Old School Rubber

https://www.barlowstackle.com/Do-It-Round-Head-Weedless-Jig-Molds-P265.aspx

This jig is the reason I got back into tacklemaking. The Eakins jig the article references has a regular wire hook but the pic shows a heavier wire. The link above is the mold you need but you will have to sand the hook slot to accept a thicker hook. I modified mine to take bigger hooks but honestly they are not needed unless you are using heavy line. My main jig is a GP silicone one like you posted in 5/16oz that I fish on 10-12lb floro on a MH Kistler rod. The hook I use is a 4/0 Mustad 32798BLN and I have never had a problem in 10+ years of making the same jig. 

Allen

I use Gamakatsu 614 hooks because I think they're stronger and I don't fish ball head finesse jigs with over 15 lb. line..  I love ball head finesse jigs.  However, I don't see the advantage of the ball head if fishing really heavy.   For heavy cover and/or dirty water, I use a 3/8 Brush Jig with a heavier hook.   I think the brush jig comes through heavy cover better & the mold accepts a much stronger hook.   I've also used a 3/8 Arky head with a heavier hook but the skirt doesn't flare as much around the collar becaue it's more streamlined.    

I make a heavy wire hook version of the Eakins jig. I use the mold in the link Munkin posted and I use the 3/8oz cavity with an Eagle Claw 2706 in a 3/0 but you can use the Mustad 32796 as well. I like the 3/0 because it is a respectable size hook but it still allows me to make a jig with a smaller profile because to me a finesse jig is 1/4oz and under.  I only use that heavy hook version for fishing heavier cover, most of my Eakins style jigs I make are 1/4oz or 5/16oz with a 3/0 or 4/0 Eagle Claw 2798BP because I'm using them on rock flats with sparse cover.  What got me is the jig in that picture looks like an Arky head with square rubber that is cut shorter than normal. Not a bad jig but different from what is described in the article.

• Like 1