RedRum

5mm jig rattle issues

I’m having issues with rattles that are not always working properly with my mold. Collins tube rattle molds

I’m  pouring jigheads which calls for 5mm rattles. It’s not 5mm rattles apparently, it’s only one type of rattle which Barlow’s offers as “medium” size rattle. I’ve purchased identical rattles from other places which either don’t fit in the smaller weighted molds and that are also melting. The identical rattles from Barlow’s are also plastic and they rarely ever melt  and they fit fine in all size cavity’s .

This is becoming a frustrating, time/financial drain on my operation. 

Any advice?

I don’t have one of the Collins molds for this but I’ve modified a mold to accept rattles. I have found that if I pour too many jigs consecutively the mold heats up too much and then the rattle may melt.  I pour some and then do something else and come back to it so it cools back down.  Also, turn the temp down on your lead pot if so equipped.

I also use rattles from Fishing Skirts. I’ve bought rattles from China cheaper but generally you will need to dip the ends in glue to make sure they are sealed. Not worth the savings. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Munkin said:

I use the ones from fishingskirts.com as well as ones from Janns, Barlows, etc. They all seem to say and I have never had one melt in 2 years. They do pour better if the rattle is pushed forward in the mold though.

Allen

This definitely helps. Thank you

31 minutes ago, EironBreaker said:

I don’t have one of the Collins molds for this but I’ve modified a mold to accept rattles. I have found that if I pour too many jigs consecutively the mold heats up too much and then the rattle may melt.  I pour some and then do something else and come back to it so it cools back down.  Also, turn the temp down on your lead pot if so equipped.

I also use rattles from Fishing Skirts. I’ve bought rattles from China cheaper but generally you will need to dip the ends in glue to make sure they are sealed. Not worth the savings. 

Well good that you brought it up because I wanna modify a mold to accept rattles. I’m thinking to dremel the cavity to the rattles I prefer. What did you do? And thanks for the reply 

12 hours ago, EironBreaker said:

Collins molds pour a nicer bait but heat up a lot quicker than a Do-It. My casting jig mold I can only pour maybe a dozen baits before it has to coll down.

Allen

I used a ball-head jig mold and cut a slot behind the head and along the hook shaft for the rattle.  A dremel could be used for that.  The rattle end stays in the ball when poured so that’s what holds the rattle. 

I have a Collins mold for another type of jig but I don’t think it gets too hot to use. I’ve poured 100 or more consequatively without issue.  What was happening that you had to stop?

• Thanks 1

One of the 20+ Shawn Collins molds I have needs to get much hotter than normal to get a full fill out but other than that it's an awesome mold. And to be honest the heat issue is not really that big of a deal.

I don't recall any other issues with any of my other molds from him.

But a mold overheating is really a pretty easy fix, either take a break or work a little slower to give the mold a little more time to cool down.

Sometimes a person can just have two molds going at the same time that way they have a little extra period of cool down between pours.

I have the most heat issues with downrigger molds but those are quite large and when your casting 8,10, or 12 pounds at a time you are going to have to cool the mold or you'll get denting.

I believe all of Sean's molds are made from 6061-T6 aluminum alloy.

I'm not sure how that compares heat distribution wise to the cast aluminum that Do-It uses?

I've got a couple of the rattle tube molds on order from Sean so we'll see if I have any issues with mine when I get them.

I'm thinking it's going to be an awesome mold for jigging lake trout through the ice this winter.