robbor

MF worm plastic problem

I shot some big worms in an aluminum mold for the first time a few months ago. Was using regular mf that had prob been sitting for a 6 months. I had an original shot by the mold maker who made my mold and used the same plastic. My worms came out no where as firm at all. Super stretchy.  I used the microwave method and added stabilizer. Any ideas? I thought I stirred it up well also

was there any sediment at the bottom of your container? I had some lurecraft medium formula that has separated and the bottom was caked solid. I bought it at a yard sale. was told that it was about 3 years old. I stirred, shook and stirred some more while digging into it.  finally got a good mix and has been working ok. I have been adding a little hardener here and there.  For $15 for the full gallon,  I'm getting a lot of mileage out of it.

I'm sorry. I digress. Ideas?  make sure you got it mixed well.  add some hardener. 

Edited by rdhammah

You need to know the temp until you get use to your microwave and heating cycles. You can’t even imagine the problems you won’t have if you get one. Knowing the temp is key.  Dents, color changing,yellowing,sticky baits and many more. Adding heat stabilizer does not do any good if you over heat it. Plus when it is fresh plastic it is in there. The reason for adding it is to replenish it when burned off while keeping it up to temp. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Bass-Boys said:

just make sure it is stirred up . scrape the bottom of the jug with some thing and if there is any thing at all that is stuck to the bottom of the jug - it just needs to be mixed better.

MF is really good about not hard packing.  I've let it sit for months and a couple shakes was all it needed.

11 minutes ago, bryanmc said:

MF is really good about not hard packing.  I've let it sit for months and a couple shakes was all it needed.

yes,

I have used it . ( and like it ) and you are correct . 

But he said .  I "think"  I  mixed  it  good . 

so just making sure . 

On 11/30/2018 at 11:40 AM, robbor said:

I stirred the crap out of it I thought.i heated in steps while stirring in big batch as my injector is prob 16-18 oz  and doesn’t quite fill all 6 cavities on my mold. I was thinking of trying some hardener

Not much new to add to what others said - but "Stirring the hell out of it" people are talking about is stirring the cold plastisol in the bottle - before you even pour it into your container to heat.  In reading your statement here I'm thinking your referring to stirring the crap out of it as it's heating.... that's too late... if you didn't stir up the product in the bottle - the mix will be off.

You have to think of making baits like baking... if you tried making a cake by not stirring the mix right - then baking without knowing the temp in the oven - odds are your cake is gonna suck and no way you'd have any consistency the next time you cook a cake (or bait).

Cheap digital thermometer will make a HUGE difference - and make sure to stir the crap out of the plastisol in the bottle before you start - those two steps will probably fix your problems.... I've made both mistakes when I started.

J.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bryanmc said:

Exactly what I was thinking.  Something else going on.  I don't think I've ever had an MF jug hard pack.  Then again, I used the super soft formula.  Might be different with regular. 

16 hours ago, alsworms said:

Exactly what I was thinking.  Something else going on.  I don't think I've ever had an MF jug hard pack.  Then again, I used the super soft formula.  Might be different with regular. 

Al, I think you hit the nail on the head.  Hardener is thick, so maybe it is what settles out when plastisol sits for a while.

• Like 1