JigsGalore

Glitter/Recipes questions

Hello, I'm new here but not new to soft plastic  baits I've been doing for over a year  now.   Anyway  can  anyone  suggest glitter  that  can tolerate  high heat without  bleeding? I  currently use Do It glitter but out of all  I  purchased  I really like  how the red and  black  turns out on reheats  everything else bleeds. So any other  brand  should  I try that  might hold up a bit better? I have  reduced  my temperature  and  everything so I have reduced  bleeding  down some.   

any good  nice  looking recipes  using  the  red or black only  glitter? I currently  use the Do-It Colorant  but out of all those  bottles I'm only  happy  with Watermelon  and  Black and  White.   I do use MF bleeding  Motor Oil and  Spike It Chameleon  but what  are some  other  great looking  Colorants? I know  I will probably  get a variety of answers here but trying to  come up with a good  go to color for me is pretty tricky as I am  really  particular  with this.  Anyway  Thanks  for  your time and suggestions.

I have had problems with doit glitter bleeding some as well, I am trying lureworks, but i haven’t been pouring much lately as i pour in my garage and it’s not heated and I’m in Wisconsin!

doit x2 colorants are good, but lureworks is good as well, and a little cheaper. Way more variety as well. Make sure to use some heat stabilizer, has really helped me with the reheats (doesn’t help with glitter bleed in my experience)

as for recipes with just red and/or black glitter... watermelon red, black neon, green pumpkin, pumpkinseed,  chartreuse pepper. Those are about all I make that has only red or black, many others out there.

8 hours ago, JigsGalore said:

Hello, I'm new here but not new to soft plastic  baits I've been doing for over a year  now.   Anyway  can  anyone  suggest glitter  that  can tolerate  high heat without  bleeding? I  currently use Do It glitter but out of all  I  purchased  I really like  how the red and  black  turns out on reheats  everything else bleeds. So any other  brand  should  I try that  might hold up a bit better? I have  reduced  my temperature  and  everything so I have reduced  bleeding  down some.   

any good  nice  looking recipes  using  the  red or black only  glitter? I currently  use the Do-It Colorant  but out of all those  bottles I'm only  happy  with Watermelon  and  Black and  White.   I do use MF bleeding  Motor Oil and  Spike It Chameleon  but what  are some  other  great looking  Colorants? I know  I will probably  get a variety of answers here but trying to  come up with a good  go to color for me is pretty tricky as I am  really  particular  with this.  Anyway  Thanks  for  your time and suggestions.

I have been using HazardDiscs from Golden Grub High-temp glitter I found through Ebay. Have made hundreds of lures this year and this glitter has not folded, flashed, smoked or bled due to the heat. The glitter shines very well and I'm very pleased with their product and will continue to purchase from them. Even after multiple heat ups, mixes and random plastic batches the glitter still looks GREAT!. image.png.ec846dde62218c9e83cf9d684da01d10.png

Edited by Bronzeback Cowboy
  • Thanks 2

I use glitter from both Lure works/spike it  and lure craft, they are the absolute best I've have tried,. 

Colorants, again Lureworks and I'm have been playing with Dead on plastics colors lately, they are translucent but I do dig them so far, btw the Plastic that Dead in sells takes multiple reheats well, worth looking in to.

Dead on plastic and Lure works are my #1 & 2 brands for inks, glitter and Plastic, i think you will be pleased if you try them

peace

• Like 2

Thanks  guys  I appreciate  the  suggestions all very helpful.    I use  the Do It essential series plastisol  and  for the life of me I  can't  keep  that  stuff  from  yellowing  on me no matter how close  I monitor  it.   I  think it's time for a switch  and  interested in the deadonplastic  brand.   how bad is bubbles  in that  plastisol? I get a good  bit in the  essential  series  plastisol.  I am able  to  get them all out as I'm  very particular about  no bubbles  in my baits.  Anyway thanks  guys appreciate all the help.

i started with the doit essentials, and IMO it was not very good, like you said, bubbles, yellowing, had issues with both no matter what i did, it would yellow before 350. i switched to baitjunkys and it is much better (but you cant get it anymore!) and now use the BJ200 blend from baitplastics, and that too is much better, it does seperate, but mix it weekly (or so) and you will be good to go. i havent had any issues with yellowing, or bubbles with either baitjunks or BJ200.

i will probably try the deadon stuff at some point, gotta get through the 6 gallons i got from baitplastics first!

Edited by Canga~
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Smoke with red glitter, cherry seed worms with black glitter, junebug red, smoke purple with black glitter, light amount of black grape with red & black  glitter or either by themselves  in worms.   I've taken  red glitter that would bleed when good & hot & used it in white plastic to make flukes with a light pink tint & pink glitter when finished & they looked & worked great. Beavers with red glitter work good at night on bright moonlit nights or  day time in stained water in bright sun too. Lots of  baits & colors these glitters will work well in.  Experiment & come up with your own colors too that nobody else has. It can be real fun  when nobody else has a color you're catching them on. lol

Thanks guys I appreciate your help.    I definitely  am switching  plastisol brands.  I have  been  wanting to  try to make some June Bug but  that  green glitter from Do It just  don't  take  reheats very well  and  after it starts bleeding  I'm done with it so it's a waste of time and  plastisol  using  there green glitter.   I  have no problem  with there red  glitters I can  get  several  reheats out of there red.

I made some junebug with the doit moss green glitter (I know it supposed to be emerald!) and it looked awesome at first, but you could see the color change after the first reheat, luckily I was using a couple big molds and only reheated a couple times, but it was pretty bad. I bought emerald and moss green from lureworks but haven’t gotten around to use it yet. 

The Dead ON Plastix  takes reheats better than any plastic I have ever used. I have used several, but not all brands out there. You can make a mistake and  let it get to 370 degrees, and it still hasn't ever burned, or yellowed.  I am sold, it is the only plastic I will use from now on. 

I have no ties with them in any way. I'm just telling my opinion about there plastic. I have not used any of there other products. Mine has set for months, due to illness, and it will separate , but after stirring it seems just fine.  Just my 2 cents.

So far, I've only used LureCraft glitter and haven't had any issues with bleeding from any of their colors.

I have 2 colorants from Dead On Plastix, Purple Rain and Bubble Gum. Purple Rain hard packs and is VERY thin as a color but is also a very nice shade of purple.

I have 5 or 6 colorants from LureCraft. I don't like the chartreuse I got from there, right now the 4 oz bottle has a 1/4" of hard pack on the bottom, the rest seem fine.

I have 10 colorants coming from LureWorks but since they aren't here yet I can't  really review them yet.

Well I purchased the Green that Bronze Back mentioned I hope it turns out.   I am willing to try other brands as well and will definitely keep that in mind.  Yeah Dead on Plastix I've been thinking about purchasing for some time now.  How bad are  air bubbles in that stuff? Also does it come in a actual 5 gallon bucket ?I figure I would just go ahead and purchase there 5 gallon bucket because I would save in the long run rather than buying a one gallon jug $50 when I could get 4 gallon more for $100.  Anyway Thanks guys appreciate your help.

JigsGalore, Yes you can buy Dead on Plastix in a 5 gallon bucket.  I was using the Baitjunckys's plastic , before trying the Dead On, and they have a very good plastic. The one thing that I really like about Dead On's is you can reheat it over and over again and it just doesn't fade, or yellow. The colors keep their brightness, without the use of  stabilizer. Iv'e always added  stabilizer to  any reheat on other plastics, but still after a few times, the color begins to fade. It does not bubble bad, you might get a few with very high heat, but they go away pretty fast.  Just my take on it.  

On 12/14/2018 at 7:33 AM, Les Young said:

I just bought baitplastics 6 gallon baitjunkys blend & with the 25% off code i got in an email it was $129.81 delivered.  You can also pick either hard, medium, soft etc for each individual gallon. I order some hard for making tubes & the rest in medium.

I'm using my first gallon of baitplastic's baitjunky medium.  So far, it seems much softer, and I did stir it before I used it.  Is it just me?

Thanks  I  think  what  I will do is buy a gallon from each and decide.  My next question is I've been  thinking about buying a degasser vac system  and see that  bait plastics has them for like  $169  but currently dont have  that much to spend  so are the ones on eBay  ok?  I am tired of air in my baits so figured  I would look into one so would those  be o.k. to use? Pretty much  looks just like baitplastic  one same size pump and  everything. Anyway  thanks  guys

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mark poulson said:

I'm using my first gallon of baitplastic's baitjunky medium.  So far, it seems much softer, and I did stir it before I used it.  Is it just me?

Mark, i haven't used any of mine yet. I'm trying to finish the last 5 gallon off that i ordered from Leonard so i don't know yet. I was told  by another member after i said that  i had  purchased it that it wasn't the same as baitjunkys.  Leonards & lureworks have been my favorites by far anyway so if i'm not  satisfied it's back to lureworks for me for sure.  I'll let you know what i think about it. :yay:

2 hours ago, Les Young said:

Mark, i haven't used any of mine yet. I'm trying to finish the last 5 gallon off that i ordered from Leonard so i don't know yet. I was told  by another member after i said that  i had  purchased it that it wasn't the same as baitjunkys.  Leonards & lureworks have been my favorites by far anyway so if i'm not  satisfied it's back to lureworks for me for sure.  I'll let you know what i think about it. :yay:

Thanks Les.  For now, I'm going to add a tbls. of hardener to a cup of plastic, and see if that matches what I want.  I'll report back.  If it doesn't work out, I'll use it for stick bait with lots of salt, since that stiffens the bait anyway.

I'm wondering if they went light on the hardener in an effort to keep it from settling out.

Edited by mark poulson

On 12/3/2018 at 3:40 AM, Canga~ said:

but i haven’t been pouring much lately as i pour in my garage and it’s not heated and I’m in Wisconsin!

Bro...get yourself a Master torpedo heater. They are certified to run on KT-1 Kerosene (very expensive) #1/#2 diesel, #1/#2 fuel oil, JP-8 and Jet A fuels. I use diesel in mine. Mine also has a thermostat so it doesn't run non-stop and with me now pouring in front of a window with a box fan, the heater runs less than half the time now and keeps the garage nice and warm.

This is the one I got. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/master-80000-btu-kerosene-forced-air-heater-mh-80t-kfa Be sure to buy the replacement warranty as these are now made in China. My first one wouldn't run right at all even with new parts shipped to me, so I took it back and the replacement runs like a dream.

• Like 2