Chicagohehaw

Weight transfer crank baits

I haven’t made many, but I have used 1/8 aluminum tubing from Home Depot with small, I think #6, lead birdshot in the tube. I cut the piece of tube to the length I needed to fit in between halves of the balsa bait I make. Then I sealed one end by squeezing with pliers, put in the desired number of shot, then sealed the other end. I routed a small channel in both bait halves horizontally approximately mid way up the bait. The channel was positioned front to rear so that when the bait dived the shot would roll to the fron end of the tube and keep the bait inclined at its natural diving angle. This system worked pretty well. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/5/2018 at 7:55 AM, Chicagohehaw said:

Looking for quality weight transfer systems in medium diving crankbaits.  Any suggestions?  I was using avidbass tackle but I guess they are gone.  Any recommendations on vendors is greatly appreciated. 

Dinger Baits has some 2.5 bodies with a weight transfer system.  I think he calls them w/t baits.  https://dingerbaits.com/lure-bodies/

• Thanks 1