Les Young

Floatnfly bobbers?

I’m going to make some floatnfly jigs. 1/16 & 1/8 ouncers. Is there a bobbet that can be bought off the shelf about anywhere that doesn’t need modifying to use with it? Can a plain weighted or slip bobbet be used? Also what length would balance well with 1/16 &  1/8 jigheads? Not talking bobs bobbers  or rocket bobbers since I know about them already.  Thanks

Edited by Les Young

Most definitely.   I am more of purist and still use just a pear shaped plastic 7/8 to 1 inch float.  Clip and slide to where you want it.    For more windy days I will switch to the round 1 inch weighted styrofoam bobbers.     Both are a dime a dozen at most big box stores selling tackle and can be found at any bait/tackle shop.

Thanks Burt.  I figured it wouldn't be that big a deal, but i haven't fished it in a long  time, but then it was with the 3 way swivel & a liter & bobber. I figured i'd be able to do it with a lot less rigging headaches & try to keep the old hands drier & warmer too.  lol Would the small floats work with 6 lb. mono ok too? Thanks

Edited by Les Young

I got frustrated with clipping to 6# so I have spliced a 12" to 24" piece of 12# mono to my braid and then to my 6# leader, this allows easy clip on and makes for an easier tie if I need to redo the 6#. Sounds complicated but it's easy and makes the whole f&f easier. If snagged all I have to do is unclip float and reel down to jig.