desertbird

Pressure regulator

I'm running a 30 gal compressor to an inline regulator and filter.  I set the compressor down to 40lbs, my inline regulator also shows 40lbs till the airbrush releases air.

I can  dial down the inline regulator to my desired spray pressure but it always starts at the compressor pressure.  Meaning if I dial down the compressor to 30lbs and my inline to 15lbs I have to release the extra pressure in the airbrush line before I can feed the paint at 15lbs.  When I stop releasing air it goes back up to 30.  So before I start any spraying I have to release air to get a constant 15lb flow, then I can release the paint.

Is there an inline regulator that will maintain the desired preset pressure?  If I set compressor at 30lbs and dial down the inline to 15lbs always have 15lbs in the airbrush line no matter what the compressor pressure is?

Edited by desertbird

It allows me to dial it down, but I have to release air to get it there. When I let off the air the pressure goes back to what is set at the compressor.  So it is regulating the air, but I have to release the air first to allow it to come down to what I set it.  I also have to release air to set the gauge.  I want to be able to dial it to desired pressure and stay there no matter if the air brush is feeding air or not.

The regulator I am running is similar to this, but I think max psi is 80:

https://www.harborfreight.com/125-psi-air-flow-regulator-with-gauge-62695.html

Hope that makes sense.

I am running thinned el' cheapo acrylic for the most part as i'm just getting started in the hobby. I also use create pearl, black, silver and white. When I have to do fine lines I back off to 10-8lbs.

With harbor freight sometimes it's hard to say what it does.

HF is calling it a "flow regulator?", which explains why when you let off it goes back up to tank pressure.

What your looking for is a "pressure" regulator. With a pressure regulator you can set the pressure and it maintains the set pressure whether the gun is spraying or not.

I agree. That looks like a flow regulator. You will not get the results you want with that. 

Here is a link to a combo locking pressure regulator / moisture trap. I have one like this. When you lower the pressure, it shows the new pressure on the guage. It only allows that amount of pressure into your air brush. A flow regulator reduces the amount of air by effectively constricting the hose. While air is flowing, the pressure will be reduced. But when flow stops, the pressure will increase to full pressure. It is sort of like crimping a garden hose . While you are spraying water, flow is reduced. Stop spraying, and the hose swells to full pressure.  

https://www.amazon.com/Paasche-R-75-Regulator-Moisture-Trap/dp/B000BR2STI/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1544476266&sr=8-18&keywords=air+pressure+regulator

• Like 1