Tally

#11 pork frog look alike?

3 hours ago, Tally said:

anyone here making #11 pork frog look alike in plastic?  I am looking for one that is a heavier (tougher) plastic than whats available at the store.  They rip way to easy.  Heavily salted in brown and in black.  

Tally

I just looked at the Berkley Maxscent Power Chunk. https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Berkley_Powerbait_Maxscent_Power_Chunk_6pk/descpage-CLPC.html

Looks like it might work, but I haven't tried them yet, so I don't know how durable they are.

thanks Mark, I haven't found one at any of the stores that are durable.  That is why I am looking for someone here on the site that makes them.   The "store" bought ones seems to rip to easy from where the hook is inserted.  Besides, the good stuff is made right here on this site.  I sure miss uncle josh pork!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tally said:

thanks Mark, I haven't found one at any of the stores that are durable.  That is why I am looking for someone here on the site that makes them.   The "store" bought ones seems to rip to easy from where the hook is inserted.  Besides, the good stuff is made right here on this site.  I sure miss uncle josh pork!!

Me, too.  I think today's plastics can be just as flexible in cold water, but there is no more durable bait than pork, and it stays salty much longer.

1 hour ago, Tally said:

you can make your own pork baits, I have

I was told that the pork was getting to expensive.  don't quote that lol......   It has forced me to use the plastic look alike but not even close in my opinion.  As long as you didn't let the pork dry out, took it off your hook and put it back in the bottle, it would last a long time.  

Come on you plastic "gurus" help a member out lol............ I never poured plastic but I might have to start lol 

On 12/10/2018 at 10:15 AM, Tally said:

#11 pork frog

Let me look has been a long time since I went through my molds.   Had a smaller pork frog mold  not for sure about a larger one however.

Also at one time had jars and jars of pork frogs and pork o's  pretty sure I chucked the pork o's and not for sure what happened to the pork frogs.

I would be interested in the uncle josh #11 in black and in brown.  I could kick myself in the rear end for not stocking up when they stop making it.  At one time you could buy the big jar called "pint of pig"........ memories

if not, I am interested in plastic.  just a tougher plastic that the hook won't tear as easy.  

2 hours ago, Tally said:

I would be interested in the uncle josh #11 in black and in brown.  I could kick myself in the rear end for not stocking up when they stop making it.  At one time you could buy the big jar called "pint of pig"........ memories

if not, I am interested in plastic.  just a tougher plastic that the hook won't tear as easy.  

I typically put a small piece of cheese cloth or similar material in the plastic near the hook area.  Makes it much more robust. 

Edited by Travis
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Tally said:

I was told that the pork was getting to expensive.  don't quote that lol......

The explanation I saw was that the quality of the pork they used had gotten so bad they couldn't make their products with it. With the pork industry shoving growth hormones in the animals they were coming to market in half the time it took in years past. The pigs simply didn't have the time to grow the needed fat layer. The cost of pigs raised without hormones etc has gotten too high for them to sustain their business. 

Edited by DaveMc1

thanks for that info Dave.  Whatever the reason i think it sucks.  lol............  I know someone on here has played with the plastic enough to do what I am looking for.  maybe I am barking up the wrong tree ??  If what I want is impossible I may try a Yammamoto hula grub twin tail to see if that gives me the same action.  at least they hold up better than the #11 plastic look a likes...... any thoughts?

Travis, the cheese cloth idea might work, but I doubt I would mess with that.  

Much of its demise was simply soft plastics had heavily replaced their use and more importantly fishing changed significantly and really diminished flipping and pitching.   Still excellent method to catch fish but jig and pigs have fallen out of favor as baby boomers became less important to  the fishing industries future and the new breed of anglers stepped up.    The trend had already started like 20 plus years ago.   Denny Brauer flipping tubes to win  that year sealed the deal.  

At one point their was  an additive to make plastic very stretchy and much stronger but I only remember seeing  one seller and he has shut down for some time.   I cut down on my pouring a long time ago so their may be additive or different plastic available.   I think you will find the main issue is the heavily salted.   Salt is worst thing you can add to a bait for longevity.    You can go with stiffer plastic but then you loose action.   

The hula grub will give you a different action than the pork.   I find them equivalent to any other plastic in regards to holding up.. one to a few fish sort of deal.   Always thought the Arikie skirted double tail grub was better.

https://www.zmanfishing.com/cms/products/crawz-creaturez/

One of the few "plastics" available that is tough and will need to take some scissors to it if really trying to approach similar size/design.

I made plaster copies years ago and still use them along with other trailers:

Copies of the original #11 and #1

hGyYA8C.jpgzPH4J3y.jpg

You might want to check Lurecraft. They've copied just about everything they could that is legal, including pork frog imitations.

Other plastic trailer designs also do well and I've copied them:

9lrtEMv.jpg?1xMyq3Rj.jpgNHoyzHp.jpg

The one on the far right is a copy of a  #101 pork frog.

kOsFZBW.jpg

As long as the tails are poured thin enough, the action is as good as that of the originals even using medium grade hardness. Plus, I have a method of keeping the trailers from slipping regardless their position on the jig or spinnerbait hook.

Edited by SpoonMinnow

woohoo..... now we are getting somewhere spoonminnow!!  I thought someone on here would have made a mold (copy) of the #11........ I use to use the 101 frog as well.  want to make me some?  pm me and we can get the details.  The tails being poured thin is fine with me.  I think the body being thicker will hold up and not have the hook pull through the plastic so easily.  

This is exactly what makes TU such a great place!!  thank you

Tally

1331300905_zoom11frog.jpg.bb92ea5b0b58f201fee63b94b6701e41.jpg

the red dot is where the hook goes through.  the yellow line is where the hooks rips through the plastic and becomes junk.  That is a zoom frog.

The trailer grip you mentioned will not help on this trailer.  

I still have a few #11's ...... i might have to get into plastic lol..............if that happens, the questions will be flying!!

3 hours ago, Tally said:

1331300905_zoom11frog.jpg.bb92ea5b0b58f201fee63b94b6701e41.jpg

the red dot is where the hook goes through.  the yellow line is where the hooks rips through the plastic and becomes junk.  That is a zoom frog.

The trailer grip you mentioned will not help on this trailer.  

I still have a few #11's ...... i might have to get into plastic lol..............if that happens, the questions will be flying!!

Travis' solution of putting a small patch of mesh in the area where the hook penetrates sounds really neat!  That would let you pour soft plastics without having them tear off the hook on the cast, or on the first fish.

I rarely have the nose of the  trailer ripped  and the wire does well whether the trailer is threaded up the hook for a shorter more compact lure or nosed-hooked. Medium  or salt water grade plastic holds up well.

Lurecraft's  (Pork) 2.5" Trailer V Shape Chunk / 5 cavity for $15 looks decent.

Edited by SpoonMinnow

you guys are making me go to a direction I wasn't thinking about.  I never poured plastic, but I am now thinking maybe I should.  I looked at the mold at lurecraft for $15...  that is cheap enough and I am guessing the "head" is thick like a #11 frog?  

Now that you all have me interested in this and I know nothing about pouring plastic....... what am I going to need to do this?  and a little tutorial would be nice.  I looked at the tutorials here and did not see one for a beginner.  Also a good supplier for what I will need.

the end result will be

black and brown colors and maybe white

heavy salted

how to place this "mesh" in the plastic

** I am a fast learner but I am sure I will have many questions!!

Also........... that mold is a 5 cavity mold.  would I be better off with several molds?  I ask this because I have no idea how much plastic has to be prepare to pour or the wait time for the plastic to "cure"???

Thanks in advance

Tally

There are many plastic suppliers - some plastisols not that good.  (in my opinion M-F is one of the best or go to the many posts on TU)

Most suppliers have dyes/ colors in small plastic bottles.  A few drops will do but add more for opacity. (Pearl over white IMO).

A small pyrex cup and microwave (some heat other ways) for quite a few lures.

Pour down a tilted mold - tail first, don't overpour to maintain tail thinness. Then fill the body cavity. To simulate pork tail action either swimming the jig or jigging on bottom, the tail must be thin. A razor blade (IE box cutter blade) can cut off any excess from body or tail sides. 

The body should not be too thick. Slight underfilling is better than over fulling so that the body is flat on both sides.

Edited by SpoonMinnow

Ok looked didn't have any extra pork frogs.   I imagine they got chucked in a clean up.  Only have a few in my tackle bag in the boat.

I do have a few molds made however.   Easy enough to do with plaster of paris or durham's rock puddy and seal with thinned devcon.  

I made the masters from clay and made a cookie cutter from aluminum flashing to get consistent masters to mold.   Multiple molds will be ideal.  Something like 4 molds with 5 cavities would knock out some rather quickly.

Just of plastic, colorant, salt,  microwave and a pyrex cup and good to go.  Always can get harder, softner, etc.. as you go if need something more.

Edited by Travis