danthefisherman

Transparent Urethane Fins?

Hello all!

I just recently got into pouring my own semisoft urethane fins for hardbaits but would really like the ability to pour some translucent colors. The product I'm using is the Alumilite Flex series and it cures an opaque ivory color without any coloring added (attached photo shows the tail with dark gray powder added). If anyone could steer me in the direction towards a urethane rubber product that cures a more transparent color that would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! :)

Dan

20181211_140424.jpg

Edit: Wasn't really sure whether this is supposed to go in the softbait category, but I thought it was more appropriate in the hardbait section. 

Edited by danthefisherman

On 12/16/2018 at 12:26 PM, DingerBaits said:

How transparent are you looking for? the stuff i have cures more of a clear/amber color

Just enough to let some more light come through...this Flex stuff cures a basically opaque off-white color. I've checked different products from both Alumilite and Smooth-On without finding any options that are safe to use at home without industrial grade safety equipment. Attached below is a picture of one of my failed trial pours, but it shows the transparency without any colorants added.

8 hours ago, AZ Fisher said:

I think I have seen Youtube vids where someone tinted the Flex products with soft plastic colorants. I'm going to attempt to make a smoke colored tail soon with this method.

Hey Will, I remember now that you mentioned the Flex 30 in a prior conversation! I have tried both powder/dust and dye colorants with success! It's to my knowledge that the harder Flex series cure a different color so it might be different for you, but since the Flex 70 cures an off white the final product will be significantly lighter than when you go to pour it. Overall I'm very happy with the Flex series...I just wish it cured a more translucent hue.

Thanks for the replies, gentlemen!

1495132964_finflops.jpg.11c2f627202cd3b4713aec9eb80e139c.jpg

42 minutes ago, DingerBaits said:

Here is the color that the stuff I use from smooth on is.

DSC_0712.JPG

That looks pretty good! A LOT closer to what I had in mind at least haha... If you wouldn't mind replying or private messaging me with what you're using I'd really appreciate it. If you'd rather keep it secret then I totally understand that as well. I'm sure I'll find something sooner or later haha. Thanks for the reply!

2 hours ago, DingerBaits said:

I learned it from another builder whom was more than willing to share.  It is the PCM-780 series by Smooth-On. difficult to not get bubbles in it. 

Thank you for sharing! I was looking at this and Smooth-On's Econ Series urethane...might have to give them a try

1 hour ago, AZ Fisher said:

https://www.reynoldsam.com/product/clear-flex-series/

I saw this stuff, but I'm not ready to rob a bank!

Haha yeah I was looking at this stuff too! It's a pretty cool product but the safety warnings scared me away too

Update: I was checking Alumilite's website the other day and noticed that the product I am using recently got reformulated to cure quicker and set a translucent yellow color. I sent them an email asking for a reference photo of the reformulated urethane and am just waiting for a reply now. If anyone has experience with the reformulated product and can share a picture that would be awesome! I bought my product back in October before it was reformulated.

Also thanks again for all the replies gentlemen... it's definitely a huge help!

Dan