SIUBASSER

Vibrating Jig Blowing Out

Hey guys. I looked through the site but cant seem to find a thread about the issue I am having.

I am making vibrating jigs using the Do-It Sparky mold. I am opening the hook eyes up and attaching the blades directly to the eye. The baits look great and run really well at slow speed. The issue is when I reel them faster they blow out and roll over. I am having the issue with both the 3/8 oz and the 1/2 oz.

The only thing I can figure is that the eye is too close to the head. However, when I look at other vibrating jigs they don't look any different.

As always I appreciate an help you guys can give.

Thanks

Edited by SIUBASSER

19 hours ago, SIUBASSER said:

Hey guys. I looked through the site but cant seem to find a thread about the issue I am having.

I am making vibrating jigs using the Do-It Sparky mold. I am opening the hook eyes up and attaching the blades directly to the eye. The baits look great and run really well at slow speed. The issue is when I reel them faster they blow out and roll over. I am having the issue with both the 3/8 oz and the 1/2 oz.

The only thing I can figure is that the eye is too close to the head. However, when I look at other vibrating jigs they don't look any different.

As always I appreciate an help you guys can give.

Thanks

I had forgotten about this when I replied earlier (CRS).

When the chatterbait first came out, I used a split tail as a trailer, and burned it over grass beds.  It was so erratic that I had bass chase it down and sometimes miss it, but they would hit at it repeatedly until they got it.   So try burning it up on top to see if it will do that, once the water warms up above 55 again.

Hey guys. Thanks for the advice. I have attached some pictures for reference.

I have bent the top of the blade and that helped a little. I also noticed that the real chatter bait blade is much thinner than the blades I have. I put one on and was able to reel it much faster. The blades I have are .52mm and the originals are .36. 

I still wonder if the eye is too close to the head. My thought is that the blade doesn't have enough freedom and when its reeled fast it gets stuck.

BTW I am not selling these and never will. I am well aware of the Z-Man patents and have no desire to get caught in that mess.

IMG_9446.jpg

IMG_9447.JPG

IMG_9448.JPG

IMG_9449.jpg

You are correct about the original blades being thinner than the blades that you can buy from lure parts suppliers.  I've looked for thinner aftermarket blades without success.  But, I don't think that's a major problem in terms of running depth.  I would think that the shallow running is primarily a result of too much water resistance on the blade or reeling too fast for the depth you want the bait to run.  One thing you might do is use a reel with a lower gear ratio to help combat you (and my) tendency to reel too fast.  I have recently been using a 6.4:1 reel, but have caught more fish when using a lower gear ratio reel, which I'm going back to this year.

Personally, I want the blade as close to the head as I can get it when I reel fast.  This makes the blade bang on the head much more and wear grooves in the head.  This makes the bait "hunt" and gives it the erratic action that Mark pointed out, above.