Chance_Taker4

Color Palette

I am just getting started on painting my own cranks. I have experience with airbrushing and have everything to do it. I picked up some blanks and all I need is the paint. I am going the Createx. With shopping around I realized I do not want to buy one of those kits with all the colors as I probably wont be using them all. So my questions are, what colors are a must in your arsenal? Also are these colors opaque or transparent. I am not painting to sell just for me to use.

On another topic. Is it customary to sell custom baits with hardware? This is the reason I am starting this endeavor. I grown frustrated that the few places I bought custom painted cranks did not ship with hooks and rings for the price I paid.

30 minutes ago, mark poulson said:

Maybe offer them without hardware, and a separate price for whatever hooks and split rings you would normally add.

I have no interest in selling my cranks. I was curious because I see more and more websites charging a premium for painted cranks but don’t supply hardware. It boggled my mind

• Like 1

For paint I would do white, pearl and black opaque, and a shiny silver and/or gold.

for transparent I would want black, red, blue, yellow, a dark green, a brown, and fluorescent green and yellow.

I would think you could do most paint jobs with that (albeit with more custom mixing).

Past that I think you are getting convenience of having to mix less, or fun things like interference colors.

A lot depends on what you are fishing for, and the waters.

If I was fishing Lake Erie for walleye, I’d use purple more. If for smallmouth in the Great Lakes golds and browns due to the gobies. Lake of the Woods is tannic, and gold has always been popular. If I was in Texas I’d probably use lots of red-orange. If I was trolling for trout, maybe some fluorescent pink. 

It’s addictive. I would also, if starting out, make sure to have a good clear to use between colors, heat set it and it’s a lot easier to wipe off the next color if you’re not happy with it.

• Like 1

On 12/13/2018 at 12:04 AM, clemmy said:

For paint I would do white, pearl and black opaque, and a shiny silver and/or gold.

for transparent I would want black, red, blue, yellow, a dark green, a brown, and fluorescent green and yellow.

I would think you could do most paint jobs with that (albeit with more custom mixing).

Past that I think you are getting convenience of having to mix less, or fun things like interference colors.

A lot depends on what you are fishing for, and the waters.

If I was fishing Lake Erie for walleye, I’d use purple more. If for smallmouth in the Great Lakes golds and browns due to the gobies. Lake of the Woods is tannic, and gold has always been popular. If I was in Texas I’d probably use lots of red-orange. If I was trolling for trout, maybe some fluorescent pink. 

It’s addictive. I would also, if starting out, make sure to have a good clear to use between colors, heat set it and it’s a lot easier to wipe off the next color if you’re not happy with it.

What clear would you suggest? I have just been spraying it all in one go and if I mess up on a color I'm screwed because it's all together. Also what are you taking createx off with?

I like to spray mutiple thin coats of paint heat setting each coat with a hair dryer or heat gun.  This allows for using a stencil or different color without damaging the paint on the bait.  There are a lot of options for using a clear coat, epoxies, moisture cured urethanes, automotive clear, and others.  I'd  suggest using the search function and reading up on what guys use and the benefits and drawbacks of each type before you decide.  A TON of information is available if you are willing to look for it.