Ginkgotech

hot stamping holographic foil for fishing lure

12 posts in this topic

Those look great. How do I apply the foil to a non metal, not flat surface like a crankbait blank? I've used that foil before but only used the dry glueing method. 

1. First use iron to heat the rubber sheet
2. Placement: rubber sheet (high temperature) - Holographic hot stamping foil - Fishing lure - Rubber sheet - Brick
3. Press (time can ask the manufacturer of the foil)
Here is the movie I found a similar method, you can start from 1:20

• Like 1

I am talking about these type of injected blanks. Anything from crankbaits and jerkbaits to topwater poppers is what I would like to learn how to apply the foil to. I have had only moderate success using the glue. 

1.5_dd__00850.1531077367.jpg

• Like 1

while researching other things I ran in to these

https://www.amazon.ca/Dernord-Cartridge-Electric-Stainless-Replacement/dp/B0741664G5/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1545069770&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=heater+cartridge&psc=1

A couple of those with thermo-couples and PIDs mounted in aluminum plates on a cheap arbor press and it should be doable.  The only thing I have not figured out is the padding,  kydex foam is probably not the right thing.  I would think you need something thermally conductive as well as high temp resistant. 

• Like 1

I don’t think a 12 v element  will get hot enough.  We change out the elements on the credit card stamps to get hotter ones.  These are the ones I bought but have not tried them yet.  The guy that came up with the idea of the credit card press did a bunch of experiments and says they have to be at least 300 watt.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Stock-2x-NEW-AC110V-300W-Mold-Heating-Element-Cartridge-Heater-Tube-Rosin-DIY/352483764452?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Heres the silicone pad 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SILICONE-SPONGE-RUBBER-1-2-THK-X-12-X-12-SHEET-HIGH-TEMP/223161425660?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Edited by rhahn427
  • Like 1

Thanks, the other project did not need lots of heat since it used  relatively small blocks.  But when I saw it my mind jumped to heat transfer foils.

The big Issue is balancing the project list with free time and the bank account :)

• Like 1

The guys in both videos used heat transfer foils.  I’m not sure irons here will get hot enough.  But hey ........... give it a try and let us know if it works. 

• Like 1