Tally

Any "REAL" custom crank bait makers left?

Mark - next time, make the lip a tad longer, and trim the lip to get the hunt. This way you can get every lure to hunt regardless of the ballast location.

Lip length, eye position, ballast location, all effect the hunter balance. BUT, the easiest to adjust after the build is the lip length.

Experiment.

Dave

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Vodkaman said:

Mark - next time, make the lip a tad longer, and trim the lip to get the hunt. This way you can get every lure to hunt regardless of the ballast location.

Lip length, eye position, ballast location, all effect the hunter balance. BUT, the easiest to adjust after the build is the lip length.

Experiment.

Dave

Will do.  Thanks.

Vodkaman, I've used your lip method successfully a number of times, and so far it's the most consistent way I've used to create a hunting action that is both controllable and reproducible. 

Mark, I'd be interested in seeing the results of your technique in conjunction with Vodkaman's.  It may result in a more erratic hunting action where the frequency and periods of the hunting action would be even less consistent.  Currently I vary my retrieve speeds around the ideal speed that a specific crankbait hunts to achieve the most erratic action, but by combining these two methods you may no longer need to.  The question is, will this additional variable to increase instability cause times where the bait blows out due to reaching the hunting transition too quickly?  I definitely think it'd be a worthwhile experiment. 

Edited by Tarheelfishing88

Apologies Tally, the subject has wandered. I suggest that a new topic be opened if people want to talk about hunting. I opened one yesterday, so I will go there now and add a reply to Tarheelfishing88.

Dave

I am addicted and at this point maybe border-line crazy. Jeff, whether you know it or not, you have contributed to some of my madness/success. When I first started, you gave me some valuable advise that I have built on. Thank You.

This is my think tank and is where I spend most of my nights. One day I will become the best crankbait maker in the world:yes:

madness.jpg

When it comes to hard baits first on is carved from wood with what ever tools I think will get the job done. Bandsaw and a rasp are my main shaping tools. Then they are molded and resin poured from then on because it’s the only way I have luck replicating my lures

Call me whatever you please but I just make lures that catch fish. I come up with an idea and try it. Lake trout and pike are they main species I build for

I enjoy conceiving, designing, carving and painting new baits. I have worked with balsa, Basswood (I have a tree in my front yard), birch and cedar. Eventually, I will branch out into this area and get a bandsaw, mini lathe, belt sander, etc. 

For now, I have decided to focus mainly on painting. 

• Like 1

Line thru cranks have been my thing for years now... pro: ive never lost one (snagged several, they always float back to me)... con: some design limitations (thru hole and ballast fight for space)

Looking forward to getting back in the shop and carving out some smaller white bass sized, trolling cranks... not sure if ill try to stick to the line thru design or go traditional

IMG_1129.JPG

I have never had issues with a through wire and ballast weight fightung for space but then again i do make mine a bit differant then others. As i channel cut a spot for my through wire. Then put un the ballast weight after the through wire has been installed works good for me on all size wood baits. Its alot.of extra work and money for the epoxy fills bit the quality and hold cant be matched.

7 hours ago, Bigpigbaits said:

I have never had issues with a through wire and ballast weight fightung for space but then again i do make mine a bit differant then others. As i channel cut a spot for my through wire. Then put un the ballast weight after the through wire has been installed works good for me on all size wood baits. Its alot.of extra work and money for the epoxy fills bit the quality and hold cant be matched.

Mine are line thru, not thru wire.. if you look closely, the hook is not attatched to the bait.... its a great set up for cranking thick timber

On 2/25/2019 at 2:23 PM, Vodkaman said:

Apologies Tally, the subject has wandered. I suggest that a new topic be opened if people want to talk about hunting. I opened one yesterday, so I will go there now and add a reply to Tarheelfishing88.

Dave

hey.... I have no problem with a thread going in different directions..... I might learn something...... retaining is a different story lol

• Thanks 1

Came across this post and wanted to say I am 30 and just got into custom lure building. I will say Marling Baits on YouTube is the main reason. I will have a ton of time this winter and have started acquiring tools. I will say FB Marketplace and LetGo has been incredible in getting the more expensive tools super cheap. I am going to make a post with everything I have so far to see if i am missing anything. I made my first one quickly this weekend eyeballing it to see how the tools work. Its so satisfying. I didn't even put the hooks on yet, can't even imagine catching my first fish on a homemade lure.

Just wanted to say I love this forum for all of the tips. look forward to having a very enjoyable hobby this winter to really learn and make something that I can be proud of, from the design to the painting. 

• Like 1